Do I need a new coil pack? Plug wires? (pics inside)

sugarandopium

where were the spiders
I need some advice from the experts.
My car is still apart, doing a bunch of upgrades.
Now, mind you, the car was running fine.
But.
When I took the plug wires off, this is what the terminals on the CP look like:
So is it time for a new one? Or can this corrosion/whatever-the-hell-it-is be cleaned?

I ordered a new one, figuring it wouldn't be a bad thing to have around.
Just want to get some advice on it.
Also, when is it time to change the ignition module?
Should I just change them both as preventive maintenance?

Being as the terminals look like this, am i going to need new plug wires?
Or should I also do the wires as a preventive maintenance?
The guy I bought the car from said he changed the wires under 1k miles ago.
They are the blue MSD, I think 8mm wires...?
What are the best plug wires out there for a midly modded TR (has ta49, alky, usual bolt ons, bone stock motor)

TYIA!!

img8216z.jpg

img8217k.jpg

img8219d.jpg

img8220i.jpg

img8229.jpg

If it aint broke dont fix it.

Clean the towers off with a mild steel brush and call it a day. Dont throw in an untested variable when your car is apart. Put it back together with the parts that were working before diassembly.

put some dielectric grease (it usually comes in the box with a new wire set) in the wire boots, this will keep the moisture out, and prevent that from happening again.
if you're re-using your wires, you can pick up a tube of the stuff at your local auto parts store

Dont see how it can hurt. You can try some fine steel wool first.

put some dielectric grease (it usually comes in the box with a new wire set) in the wire boots, this will keep the moisture out, and prevent that from happening again.
if you're re-using your wires, you can pick up a tube of the stuff at your local auto parts store

Exactly thats why its like it is now. Water gets in & rust starts happening. Personally I would order one of each for spares as they do go & its something you will use in time. Also great for troubleshooting.

I would measure the resistance of the coils first. Should be ~12K. Sometimes corrosion is a sign of a bad coil. If they do measure ok then a good cleaning along with some dielectric grease should do. Always keep a spare coil pack handy. :)

I would measure the resistance of the coils first. Should be ~12K. Sometimes corrosion is a sign of a bad coil. If they do measure ok then a good cleaning along with some dielectric grease should do. Always keep a spare coil pack handy. :)

Agree with all here....use some 4 zero steel wool to clean the terminals, and you can use it to clean your wire ends, too. Use dielectric grease on the terminals and wire ends. Check for wire conituity with your volt/ohm meter, with a lead on each end and twisting/bending wire to see if there is no breaks in it. I'd be lost without these guys myself.:wink: They are a great group of knowledgeable Turbofreaks. I mean, these guys are tops.

Bruce '87 Grand National