You can type here any text you want

Do I need this?????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
image.jpg
Do I need this half moon shaped bracket by the turbo. If so what is the purpose

That holds (supports) the turbo in the air so it's not resting on the manifold. Also holds the turbo cover on. An some people run without one. Others will chime in.

Problem with not running one is that the headers are prone to cracking as they are, let alone running through extreme heat cycles with the weaght of the turbo pushing down. Plus, poorly designed exhaust systems will also weigh down that side. Picture the turbo, downpipe, cat/test pipe, and part of the exhaust weight, all resting on the passenger side manifold. Then cycle it through extreme heat enough to make it glow. You can almost guarantee to be rewarded with a nice, wide crack.

Problem with not running one is that the headers are prone to cracking as they are, let alone running through extreme heat cycles with the weaght of the turbo pushing down. Plus, poorly designed exhaust systems will also weigh down that side. Picture the turbo, downpipe, cat/test pipe, and part of the exhaust weight, all resting on the passenger side manifold. Then cycle it through extreme heat enough to make it glow. You can almost guarantee to be rewarded with a nice, wide crack.

What he said.

The battery ground cable is also bolted to the block between this piece and the block, or on the outside of it , if you choose to do it the easy way . In addition, one of the hood insulator pad retainers is right above the turbo and has a tendency to melt if you don't run a turbo shield.

It all boils down to a matter of personal preference/choice in the end.

Last edited:
I've gone without the shield for a few years, haven't noticed the hood insulator pad retainer melting, will have to go look. No way would I remove the bracket, way too much weight. Have heard of others making a bracket to hold the turbo from underneath, that way you couldn't see it.

I'll put it back makes sense to now. I just removed it to shine it up a bit. Thanks for the encouraging truth guys

Back