You can type here any text you want

Do I need to have my stall converter gears checked?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gn87man

I recently blew up my engine.

I sheared the crankshaft in half and broke one of the center main caps....due to detonation issues.

I had an aftermarket 3200 LU stall converter installed in the car when the engine blew up.

My question is this:

Would the stall converter be at risk of damage when the engine blew up?

Do I need to take the stall converter to a transmission shop to have the gears inspected before re-installing the stall converter?

Thank you!

Landon

Very rarely.

Do I need to take the stall converter to a transmission shop to have the gears inspected before re-installing the stall converter?

That depends. Does your converter have helical or straight cut gears and what ratio are they?

If they are 3 series gears you may have to get them inspected. If they are 4 series gears they should be fine as they rarely strip the gears out of them.

It would be best to call the converter MFG. and ask what type and size gears they used and see what they recommend for you to do.

Last edited:

Very rarely.

That depends. Does your converter have helical or straight cut gears and what ratio are they?

If they are 3 series gears you may have to get them inspected. If they are 4 series gears they should be fine as they rarely strip the gears out of them.

It would be best to call the converter MFG. and ask what type and size gears they used and see what they recommend for you to do.
Great!

I will call the converter manufacturer to verify the gears to determine if I need them inspected.

Thank you so much for the help!

I'm just having fun with the apprentice.

Great!

I will call the converter manufacturer to verify the gears to determine if I need them inspected.

Thank you so much for the help!

Please disregard post #2. I was just messing with you.

OP No, he's not! His converters all have 4 strait cut gears in them....
Fact; there are no gears in the converter. Also, nothing that you need to be concerned about.

OP No, he's not! His converters all have 4 strait cut gears in them....
Fact; there are no gears in the converter. Also, nothing that you need to be concerned about.

You got it wrong Chuck. Mine are helical reverse cut and I have dual flow turbines with VFT [variable flow turbine] technology.

LOL! oh, ok...that is good stuff...glad to know I don't need to worry about having the stall converter inspected. :-)

Yeah, yeah, I understand....having fun with the newbie...LOL!

Seriously though, thank you for letting me know that I have nothing to worry about concerning the stall converter.

No problem. Your good to go now that your cherry has been broken!!! (y)

Get the converter checked. Breaking a crank can cause internal parts to touch in the converter. Seen this many times. Also you should have the transmission pump gone thru and make sure the trans case did not crack, very common. Throwing parts out of alignment at rrpm causes more damage than you would expect. Contact me directly if you have any questions..

Get the converter checked. Breaking a crank can cause internal parts to touch in the converter. Seen this many times. Also you should have the transmission pump gone thru and make sure the trans case did not crack, very common. Throwing parts out of alignment at rrpm causes more damage than you would expect. Contact me directly if you have any questions..
Oh wow...ok. Thank you so much for the feedback. I will PM you if I have any more questions. Thanks again.

What were you doing that you were able to break the crank and a main cap? Scanmaster? If not get one.

That is a lot of detonation.

And while I have yall, I'm looking to stock up on some blinker fluid. Any preference to a brand?tia

What were you doing that you were able to break the crank and a main cap? Scanmaster? If not get one.

That is a lot of detonation.

And while I have yall, I'm looking to stock up on some blinker fluid. Any preference to a brand?tia
Street racing on 24 lbs of boost. :/

I have a Scanmaster, but I was still learning all the output readings of it when I broke the main cap. I had just bought the car 6 weeks prior to the motor breaking.

The main cap broke and lodged itself in the crank casing, which caused the crank to shear in half and the motor locked up.

I will definitely monitor and know all the Scanmaster readings once I get my new motor built.

I've found that brand is not that important. Synthetic blinker fluid does seem to provide greater lumens and more consistent blinker frequency.lol
Sorry, just had to.

Back