You can type here any text you want

Do I Really Need Front Shocks??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Heg87t

Slightly Compressed User
Hey Guys,

I have been working on a tracking / wandering problem. The car seemed to take off in different directions at highway speeds on the crappy roads around here. :(

During my investigation one thing I found was that after jacking up the car and setting it back on the ground the front end would stay up high until I pushed it down. I decided the old Herb Adams adjustable shocks set on soft were close to a 90/10 and were holding the car up when the suspension extended. Today I pulled the old ones out to see how it changed.

Now the car does move up and down but it takes quite a bit of force to compress the springs. OK probably becuase they are stiff springs. The car goes right back to its ride height after I push it down or pull it up.

Do I am fishing for experience and thoughts here... should the front of the car bounce a little while without shocks? Could my Global West upper control arms or lower Del-a-Lum bushings be binding the front suspension?

Thoughts? :confused:

How is your alignment? How are all the components in your front end (an alignment shop can check it out for you)?

How old are your tires? I chased "tramlining" problems for years only to find out it was the type of tire I had on the front.

Rob

Oh, I just noticed you have B-Body spindles. That throws in a whole new mix as the B body spindles do some funny things to the geometry of the G-body's suspension.

That could be part of the issue.

Rob

How is your alignment? How are all the components in your front end (an alignment shop can check it out for you)?

How old are your tires? I chased "tramlining" problems for years only to find out it was the type of tire I had on the front.

Rob

The car does not have many miles on it after the B-body spindles and upper control arms. All new suspension parts at this time. Don't think there are any wear issues.

Good call. I am not going to admit how old the tires are. :o :redface: I am going to be replacing them soon also.

That's one of my worries...

Oh, I just noticed you have B-Body spindles. That throws in a whole new mix as the B body spindles do some funny things to the geometry of the G-body's suspension.

That could be part of the issue.

Rob

I am trying to investigate and rule out other items but I have a feeling you are right. I have a bump steer correction kit on my list. If I don't see enough inprovement with shocks & tires I will do that.

Not a quick or easy fix though...

Hey Guys,

I have been working on a tracking / wandering problem. The car seemed to take off in different directions at highway speeds on the crappy roads around here. :(

During my investigation one thing I found was that after jacking up the car and setting it back on the ground the front end would stay up high until I pushed it down. I decided the old Herb Adams adjustable shocks set on soft were close to a 90/10 and were holding the car up when the suspension extended. Today I pulled the old ones out to see how it changed.

Now the car does move up and down but it takes quite a bit of force to compress the springs. OK probably becuase they are stiff springs. The car goes right back to its ride height after I push it down or pull it up.

Do I am fishing for experience and thoughts here... should the front of the car bounce a little while without shocks? Could my Global West upper control arms or lower Del-a-Lum bushings be binding the front suspension?

Thoughts? :confused:

The car should bounce with no front shocks. Unless they were installed wrong I dont think the bushings could bind. Who did the alignment? Did they use the global west specs that came with the arms? Were lower ball joints replaced? Anyone adjust the gearbox?

I have essentially the same suspension you do (Del-A-Lums, UMI Roto joints, B-body spindles etc)... and it is the tires on my car that cause most of the tracking issues due to their width. However, having driven a few cars with 90/10s (which make no sense in your application) they do tend to make the front end of the car dart around due to a lack of balance.

If switching these out for a set of cheapies from the part store doesn't help (or changing out your tired ass tires), you'll want to get the whole car aligned.

Can you shoot me a link to the bumpsteer kit you are looking at? I've never really had an issue with mine... but, having a reference is always nice.

Who did the alignment? Did they use the global west specs that came with the arms? Were lower ball joints replaced? Anyone adjust the gearbox?

Alignment was done by a local shop. I spoke with the tech and worked with him while it was being done. We used the GW recommended settings and came very close as I remember.

I think (been a long time) I replace the lower ball joints. Don't know why I wouldn't have since I did everything else.

I did adjust the lash in the steering box shortly after I got the car in '96.

I have essentially the same suspension you do (Del-A-Lums, UMI Roto joints, B-body spindles etc)... and it is the tires on my car that cause most of the tracking issues due to their width. However, having driven a few cars with 90/10s (which make no sense in your application) they do tend to make the front end of the car dart around due to a lack of balance.

If switching these out for a set of cheapies from the part store doesn't help (or changing out your tired ass tires), you'll want to get the whole car aligned.

Can you shoot me a link to the bumpsteer kit you are looking at? I've never really had an issue with mine... but, having a reference is always nice.

Thanks Mr. T.

I have a set of Bilstein shocks to put in and will be getting new tires when the snow clears.

Here's the bump steer kit:

G-Body Bump Steer Kit | Regal Bump Steer Kit | 1978-1987 | BS-2

Quick Update

Thanks Mr. T.

I have a set of Bilstein shocks to put in and will be getting new tires when the snow clears.

I put the front Bilstein shocks in and the car is better. The old shocks were dead! When I laid them on the floor one of them was extended and the other was only half way out. :mad:

It's still darts on small choppy bumps (frost heave) but it doesn't want to take off left or right and stay there.

I still need to install the rear shocks when I get some time. After that new tires.

if u can get qa1 double adjustable front shocks- it makes your wife int a hooker! u will not be diswappointed

Back