Do you like your job?

turboscott said:
See, this is exactly what I am talking about. It is totally possible to make a nice living doing something you like and still enjoying your life.

What do you do to get traffic to your website? Do you rank high on the search engines? Do you run the website or does someone else do it for you.

I am glad to hear there are people out there that actually like their jobs. I have gotten a few emails from fellow board members and hopefully I can help them out.

my website sucks..haha..my ex gf did it as project in her e-commerce class..

I advertise with those lil plastic signs on my site "Home of the 100 for ...I'm the middle man on most of my work. So i just set up a file and send an email, then wait for UPS to deliver it. Badda bing.. I could get a shop and work 9-5 everyday..and i might make more money...but its not worth it to me. I'd rather have the freedom...

6APPEAL said:
I'm a mainframe systems programmer in a medium size shop (1000+ mips). .... "We don't want to lose all your years of mainframe experience".
Hey John, IBM mainframes has been my bread and butter for the last 16 years, specializing in EDI software and application interfaces to e-commerce apps. Word on the street is that most of the mainframers are going to be retiring soon since most who know the systems well are in their 50's leaving a shortage of folks with mainframe experience which means bigger wages for those who do....or means more business will convert to machines that can't run a business reliably :) I don't know if I can wait till that comes about as am pretty sick of my job/business now...

I don't like my job either. It's very confining and I have to constantly watch out for a bunch of thugs trying to cause trouble. On the plus side I have a decent schedule and other benfits. Pay isn't great but it is okay for the area and I will be eligble for an early retirement in about 6 years with paid health care from then on.............

By the way I work in a prison. :smile:

2QUIK6 -
Word on the street is that most of the mainframers are going to be retiring soon since most who know the systems well are in their 50's leaving a shortage of folks with mainframe experience which means bigger wages for those who do
I agree, I just don't really expect much here. I'm the youngest in the group at 39, but have the 3rd most seniority with 17 years. Over half our staff is over 50 and we could lose all of them to retirement in the next 10 years. If we lost 4 paticular people in our group we would lose over 130 years of combined mainframe experience :eek: . Tech Support mag did a survey and reported that the average age of a mainframe systems programmer was 58, which makes me look real good to other companies :D . Seems funny that PC/Sever makers have been screaming for over 25 years the the mainframe was dead, yet over 79% of the world's data resides on disk space or tapes attachted to mainframes :confused: . The mainframe might be a dinosaur, but they need to call it an alligator or crocodile, a living dinosaur that is not going away any time soon :rolleyes: .
John

6APPEAL said:
2QUIK6 - I agree, I just don't really expect much here. I'm the youngest in the group at 39, but have the 3rd most seniority with 17 years. Over half our staff is over 50 and we could lose all of them to retirement in the next 10 years. If we lost 4 paticular people in our group we would lose over 130 years of combined mainframe experience :eek: .
Yep, most people can't beleive I have 16 years experience on mainframes at just 36. I started as a co-op at IBM and had just finished an assembler class at 19. That co-op job lasted 5 years and then continued mainframe work after that...I could have just skipped college and went straight to IBM after highschool for training :D

I actually do enjoy my job, even if I do have to travel 6-7 months out of the year. Base salary is pretty decent, plus I get per diem/travel expenses when on the road. I may be changing jobs soon though.....found out the parts center I'm on assignment to now is looking to hire a few more permanent engineers. I'm going to have a talk with the dept head and see what the story/requirements will be. Travel is nice, but making more $$ sitting in an office than what I do salary+per diem has me doing some serious thinking, especially since my contract ends the same day as the current field assignment... :cool: .

BTW.....I'm a GE certified/trained steam turbine field engineer. I fix the mechanical parts of broken power plants.... :D

I love my job 27 times a year, 26 paydays and 1 bonus payday. The work is hard the politics bad but the money is good. People think that their job sucks but the next one you get probably will be worse. Why do you think that there is an opening if the job is great. :confused: Usually the good jobs are filled long before Joe public has a chance.

GNandGS said:
TurboScott - email, PMs sent.

Responded via PM. Couldn't type much because of the character limit. If I can answer any more questions shoot me another email and we can talk more.