You can type here any text you want

Does a 3.5 inch driveshaft clear on a turbobuick?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

434nova

Does anyone have clearance issues with there 3.5 driveshaft ?

I am looking to upgrade and was wondering if it will interfere with the exhaust. I am running a pypes 2.5 dual exhaust.

Also is the stock driveshaft 3 inches?

Thanks

I am looking to upgrade and was wondering if it will interfere with the exhaust. I am running a pypes 2.5 dual exhaust.

Thanks
Pretty sure mine is Alum 4", its tight, no fat chicks....

Thanks
my 3.5 clears my 2.5 exhaust.
Mine is 3" with the 4" shaft, tight

I just bought a 3" w/ 1350 joints, mild steel. I got it from PST. The tech guy said it was all I need for 950FWHP, out of the LS/4L80E.
U need a 3.5"?

Thanks
Mine cleared with no issue with the same exhaust

I just bought a 3" w/ 1350 joints, mild steel. I got it from PST. The tech guy said it was all I need for 950FWHP, out of the LS/4L80E.
U need a 3.5"?
i think hes mistaken NA maybe turbo or nitrous applied i wouldnt run a 3" , street should be ok on street tires , track on a brake with slicks and heavy car capable of 8s is another thing
http://driveshaftvibration.com/driveshaft101basics/driveshaft-basics/

as for the op the stock is just under 3" . the 3.5 basically adds 1/4 , if you have over a 1/4 clearance now it should fit, now getting a 3.5 in is a little more tricky with the exhaust in place and may require dropping the exhaust down with any exhaust
and depending on your shock length the driveshaft may hit the exhaust tubes on a 2 post lift with the axle at full drop , comp engineering 3 way shocks are too long and allows rear to drop too far and can be an issue on a lift which would make getting the shaft installed on a two post difficult

Last edited:

Thanks
Mine is 3" with the 4" shaft, tight

Thanks
Mine is 3" with the 4" shaft, tight.
A 3" will take the power, the increased diameter adds torsional stiffness, and makes up for heavy cars or shock loads. the 4" gave me lightweight and stiffness...don't go there Chuck !

U need a 3.5"?
I doesn't have as much to do with HP as it does with length of the driveshaft. A longer driveshaft can flex more and needs to be a larger OD to resist the flex.

Your 4L80E is longer than a 2004r or a th400, so it has a shorter driveshaft. The shorter driveshaft can be smaller OD.

I've had two different 3.5" driveshafts and both fit. I currently have a 2.5" pypes exhaust on the car also and it's tucked up extra tight. The only issue I had was I needed a metco driveshaft loop instead of the one the car originally had when I bought it. http://www.kirbanperformance.com/product/324/Custom-made+DRIVESHAFT+LOOP+and+HARDWARE+KIT+#6578.html

I run a 3.5 driveshaft with no issue.its rpm that's the main factor in selecting size.

Back