You can type here any text you want

Does my TTA have the wrong valve covers ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cottonpicker14

I found a set of powder coated valve covers for my TTA but they are different than mine. What I mean is, his has a hole on the side of the drivers valve cover just above the oil filler hole and mine does not. It appears it is for a breather.
I see that Jan has a photo of his posted with a breather in this hole which is located on the side just above the oil filler hole on the drivers VC.
My questions are
1. Neither my drivers side or passenger side has this breather hole. Are my covers wrong ?
2. If so, do I need breathers on both sides or just the drivers side
3. If I buy the ones above, where would I get what looks like a 90 degree elbow and breather ?
4. If I leave my alone without any breathers, what would happen ?

Here is a link to my drivers side cover
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/74500/DSCF0900.JPG

Here is a link to Jans showing the breather
http://la.rsson.com/valvecovers/pages/PICT0032.htm

Any help would be appreciated.

Jans are TTA valve covers. Where his has the hole is where the original breather pipe ran the inlet bell on the turbo for a pressure release. it was a horrible design because it let the oil into the turbo which then sat in the bottom of the intercooler.

Feel on the back of yours. It should be on the backside of it in which case it's a Buick 3.0 FWD valve cover. They're essentially the same thing just different placements for the breathers. Don't worry you shouldn't have any problems with the other valve covers (I have them on my car) but you should have some sort of a breather. I'd suggest just getting the one for the filler cap that www.johnsperformance.com sells.

Edit: actually just looked at the pictures again and the black filler cap you have is also from a Buick some I'm pretty sure you'll have the hole on the back. The TTA filler is like a off white/gray (look at Jan's picture)

Cottenpicker

I will look at mine this weekend and let ya know also :cool:

Yep the one you have is defentily the other version (1 of 2) used on the FWD car's in the late 80's. They used the same as ours (like the one in my picture) and also one with the vent hole facing the firewall (short side of VC) when installed on our TTA's. Either one works fine.

I tend to get the one's like our original ones.

I just checked my valve covers and the drivers side does have one that is on the short side of the valve cover facing the firewall as 72Firebird mentions. There is a rubber hose connected to it that runs against the firewall to the passenger side and just ends. It has what looks like some type of insulation or something stuffed into the end of the hose.
Now my questions are.
1. Did all the TTA's come with the hole like Jans, meaning that the drivers side has the hole on the side just above the oil filler hole ?
2. Should I remove whatever is stuffed into the end of the hose that I menitoned above
3. Even though mine has the one facing the firewall with the hose attached, is it worth installing a breather that Johns Performance sells that mounts in the oil filler hole.
http://secure.johnsperformance.com/images/large/large-tabreather.jpg
4. Is it worth buying the ones this guy has that has the hole in the side like.
5. If so, where would I buy the elbow.
6. What I did notice is that on the passenger side VC, in the front short side is the outline of what once was a sticker. I remember reading somewhere that there is suppose to be a sticker there that was put on for TTA's only. This makes me think that my covers are original ?

SOrry for all the questions, just want to get it right.

cottonpicker14 said:
I just checked my valve covers and the drivers side does have one that is on the short side of the valve cover facing the firewall as 72Firebird mentions. There is a rubber hose connected to it that runs against the firewall to the passenger side and just ends. It has what looks like some type of insulation or something stuffed into the end of the hose.
Now my questions are.
1. Did all the TTA's come with the hole like Jans, meaning that the drivers side has the hole on the side just above the oil filler hole ?
2. Should I remove whatever is stuffed into the end of the hose that I menitoned above
3. Even though mine has the one facing the firewall with the hose attached, is it worth installing a breather that Johns Performance sells that mounts in the oil filler hole.
http://secure.johnsperformance.com/images/large/large-tabreather.jpg
4. Is it worth buying the ones this guy has that has the hole in the side like.
5. If so, where would I buy the elbow.
6. What I did notice is that on the passenger side VC, in the front short side is the outline of what once was a sticker. I remember reading somewhere that there is suppose to be a sticker there that was put on for TTA's only. This makes me think that my covers are original ?

SOrry for all the questions, just want to get it right.

1. No none of the original TTA valve covers came stock like yours. Since they had the pipe that went to the inlet bell they were unable to have it in the back.
2. I think I would probably remove the hose up till almost the end of it by the valve cover and then plug it. Then buy the breather from Johns performance. That's what I did and it'll relieve any pressure just fine and safely.
3. See #2
4. If the valve covers look fine and there is no gasket leaks just leave them. The drivers side is a little difficult to get out so don't waste your time. Plus with the plug in the back you can't see the hole or anything and it looks cleaner I think.
5. I think you can find the elbow on the 3.0 Buick cars too but I'm not sure. I don't exactley remember from the junkyard.
6. They may have just replaced your drivers side cover. I don't remember if mine has a sticker on the passenger or not.

Back