dogs and antifreeze don't mix

Another 24 hours and he's still with us. Been in for IV lfuids for the past 3 days and again the vets are still amazed he is even alive still. Goes back tomorrow for more fluids and another blood check. It's cautious optimism right now, he's not out of the woods yet by any means, but still he defies the odds. I guess he had a gaurdian angel or someone/something looking after him, God knows I wasn't that night. Kills me that I thought I had taken every step possible to avoid this.
"Sierra" antifreeze came out about 10-12 years ago as a different "safe" alternative to conventional coolants. This part may just be a hallucination but I swear I rememebr reading either in Automotive News or maybe even Consumer Reports that Sierra not only had a much lower boil-over point than regular, but was not that much safer for the environment either. (it could still be fatal, it just took more of it) (Again this is what I remember: don;t take my word as gospel)

Glad to see you love your pet ,hate when some will not set out the $$$ for a dear pet,rather have a new intercooler :mad: Guess our prayers are helping :wink:

Another 24 hours and he's still with us. Been in for IV lfuids for the past 3 days and again the vets are still amazed he is even alive still. Goes back tomorrow for more fluids and another blood check. It's cautious optimism right now, he's not out of the woods yet by any means, but still he defies the odds. I guess he had a gaurdian angel or someone/something looking after him, God knows I wasn't that night.

It's been years back but I went throught this same kind of deal as you. I ending up spending over a grand in vet bills as this went on for a week and half. I'm not sure if the vet gave me a false sense of hope or I was just looking for something to grasp at. To make a long story short, I ended up having to put her down, while I made her suffer almost two weeks. Hope It turns out better for you. It's tough and it sucks. :frown:

Check http://www.sierraantifreeze.com/

Yes it is safer to use around pets and such. Its a different chemical.
Freezing Point, 50% vol. -26° F max. -26° F max.
Boiling Point, 50% vol. 221 F typ. 219° F min.
I am sure it can still be fatial but. Its in a large amount. Not a tablespoons worth. Besides. Like stated Dogs dont belong in the garage.

While no antifreeze product is completely harmless, using propylene glycol antifreeze does provide an added margin of safety in the event of accidental ingestion.

You can also use Prestone LowTox which is the same thing as sierra.

Im Soory To Hear About Ur Dog. Thats Awful....! Not Sure What I Would Do If My Dogs Passed. They Are My Heart And Soul. :( Wish U And Ur Dog The Best. I Wont Even Keep Anifreeze On My Property Now.

my lab when she was a pup 4 years ago got in the shop with me and drank about 4 slurps worth of stright green took her in the house and poured a gallon of milk down her she was slow to eat for a week vet said the same thing, 5 years later a 105lb happy lab. i would rather give her the chance at a happy life then to have to cut it short. seen and heard several storys of happy dogs drinking it and lived just fine.. yes a very large amount will but from the little you described i just don't seee it.

turbotoy

Just got word from the vets, and despite everybody's best efforts,he is going into renal failure. His days are numbered and it's my fault.

Sorry to hear that. I lost my german shepherd puppy to parvo despite the vets best efforts. Then I replaced her with another shepherd, who was hit by a car and killed. The only thing that helped me to get over the loss, was to go out and get another dog. Again sorry for your loss.

kh440 said:
Just got word from the vets, and despite everybody's best efforts,he is going into renal failure. His days are numbered and it's my fault.

I can't be anymore sorry for you. So sorry to hear that........My dogs are everything to me, best friends I ever had.

Hope you can forgive yourself, it was an accident and we're all human. :(

As much luck as possible to you.

kh440 said:
its not your fault at all,its a mistake that even i would have made,if i would not of seen this thread...i drain my antifreeze all the time and leave some on my driveway and garage floor,i never knew how this stuff could do a dog or even a kid in...things happen for a reason and maybe we dont know why it happens to us remember that you alone have made me realize how this stuff could of affected my baby or my dog,and everyone that reads this now knows and will pass it on..sorry for your loss,it will take time to heal,but you have helped alot of us realize what this stuff can do...dont blame yourself,the antifreeze should not be made to taste good if it kills...stay strong....

I'm sorry to hear of your plight

Problem is, just as you have experianced, most of the time before the signs show up, and we see the animal, it is already too late. I know this first hand as an RVT for the last 20 years. By the time we see the animal it is usually too late.
We wish you the best and some do beat the odds. Let's hope your pooch is one that does. :D
Our prayers are with you and the pooch.

MrsWe4
Cindy Toelle

I can not even begin to express my gratitude for the warm thoughts and wishes. He's still doing ok, certainly nowhere near to the point everybody thought he'd be by now (almost a week later). Without becoming delusional I have to see that as a good sign.

i'd watch him for a while longer like i said in my previous post above my 5 year old lab 5 years ago got i'd say 4 good slurps in before i new what she was doin and now 5 years later and goes to the vet every 6 months for general check ups has been doing great and is now 105lb. out of everyone i have talked to about this subject they say it takes quite a bit and not other fluid to actically kill or effect a animal..

turbotoy

We go back to the vets for another blood test later this morning. To look at him you'd never know anything was wrong, and it has now been over a week since this happened. we'll find out soon.

kh440 said:
We go back to the vets for another blood test later this morning. To look at him you'd never know anything was wrong, and it has now been over a week since this happened. we'll find out soon.
Glad to hear he is well...