You can type here any text you want

Dot 3 with synthetic

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chris-74GN

I was at the parts store the other day and noticed the DOT3 brake fluid has synthetic in it, does anyone know if it is ok to use? I still have the power master brake system. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DOT3 Synthetic is fine for use in the PowerMaster. DO NOT use silicone based DOT3 in your PowerMAster!

Only DOT 5 (not to be confused with DOT 5.1) is silicone which should not be used under any circumstance in your Powermaster. The single most important thing to do if you have a Powermaster is to change your fluid at least once a year with either DOT 3 or 4. Never allow your fluid to get black like oil. DOT 4 has a higher boiling point so if that makes you feel better use it. I myself have never noticed any difference switching from 3 to 4. Some swear by 5.1 but I don't have any first hand experience with it.

Ok thanks guys. When changing the fluid yearly should I bleed all the lines or is just removing what is in the reservoir sufficient?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just removing what is in the reservoir is sufficient

Be sure to depressurize the system with ignition off before removing fluid from the reservoir. When filling make sure you don't overfill the passenger side chamber (common mistake). Follow the indicators in reservoir. The proper fill level for the inner chamber with ignition on is only about 1/4 from the bottom. Also, make sure when you put the cover back on you put the gasket on the cover first and not the reservoir. Otherwise it could leak.

K. Thanks. I just want to clarify the proper level. When I get home from a drive and open the hood for a while so that some of the heat will dissipate I notice that the passenger side of the brake reservoir is only about 1/4 full, then I pump the pedal 10times with the ignition on(engine not running) and fluid level goes up. This is what is suppose to happen? And the drivers side level never moves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, what you describe is normal. When you pump the pedal you can do it with key off.

Back