Downpipe/Header clearance

gndude

While looking around for a exhaust link on the passenger header, I found the downpipe and header are making contact? There is only about 1/8" of clearance between the pipes, I'm sure when I go WOT the pipes will touch. Is this minimal clearance normal with a stock downpipe and header? I'm wondering if my stock motor mounts are allowing the motor to torque over too much? Car has original motor mounts - 50,000 miles on the car. Should there be more than 1/8" clearance?

There should definitely be more clearance.

Are you using the stock exhaust hanger after the catalytic (or bypass)?

Yes, your motor mounts can definitely add to this problem. Several Buick vendors sell the engine tie-down kit for $29. This will solve that problem.

There is a very slight amount that the pipe can be rotated when re-installing it. If it was ever removed, whoever reinstalled it may have turned it too far toward the engine.

humm, so maybe when the crossover was reinstalled the pipe was twisted in a way to make it close to the header.. Maybe I should loosen the crossover and downpipe and get both back in the correct position? Also may be a good time to replace the donut gasket.

If your downpipe has been installed for quite a while, you probably won't be able to loosen it and turn it at all.

The crossover shouldn't be that close to either the header or the downpipe. If it's not leaking, don't mess around with it. It's easy to make it leak.

Double-check that all 3 of the bolts from the catalytic (or bypass) are securely fastened through the exhaust hanger on the frame crossmember.

g'luck.