downpipe with external wastegate

skwatt

I am still learning how to set up the car for "gofast." I recently purchased a TE-64-1 turbo (upgrading from stock). I have the stock downpipe and wastegate. If i get a 3" downpipe, do I need to get an external wastegate? Can I run the internal wastegate with a HD actuator? Which is better? Any help will be greatly appreciated.:confused:

84BGN
86 engine and drivetrain
Front Mount intercooler
42.5# injectors
flowmaster exhaust
TE-64-1 turbo (soon)
turbo tweak street chip

I am still learning how to set up the car for "gofast." I recently purchased a TE-64-1 turbo (upgrading from stock). I have the stock downpipe and wastegate. If i get a 3" downpipe, do I need to get an external wastegate? Can I run the internal wastegate with a HD actuator? Which is better? Any help will be greatly appreciated.:confused:

84BGN
86 engine and drivetrain
Front Mount intercooler
42.5# injectors
flowmaster exhaust
TE-64-1 turbo (soon)
turbo tweak street chip

You should be able to run an internal WG setup. However, I see you're getting a TT street chip and therefore plan to mainly drive it on the street, so I'd recommend a standard (not HD) adjustable wastegate. You probably wouldn't be able to set the HD WG lower than 18-19 psi before you run out of threads on it, at which point it's probably going to be holding the puck open all the time. Full Throttle Speed has the wastegate actuator you need for the TE turbos in both standard and HD. You could probably set a standard WG actuator up to about 25 psi if you ever needed to. I'd also recommend a TH-style downpipe so you can get rid of the very restrictive stock WG elbow and get the proper stall torque convertor so you can enjoy the full benefit of your new turbo.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the info. I will look at there website today.

Lee

84BGN
86 engine and drivetrain
Front Mount intercooler
42.5# injectors
flowmaster exhaust
TE-64-1 turbo (soon)
turbo tweak street chip

One other thing I just caught--you should probably run more like 55-60 lb injectors with that turbo, which means upgrading the chip again too...