downpipes

NicksBuickT

i have a dilemma, im looking to upgrade to the 3 inch down pipe but i dont have the 500 or whatever for the terry houston. I live very close kirban and they have a downpipe for under 200,however i have heard bad things about them leaking etc. , what are the best down pipes out for the money?

A 3" downpipe will flow better that the stock dp but most of restriction is on the elbow.

ATR sells a nice SS 3" DP for about $300-$350 and MPE also sells a high quality SS 3" DP for about $350-$400 from what I've seen.... I don't think you will find a nice high quality 3" SS DP for much cheaper!
HTH

Get the Kieth Mease!! Where in Warrington do you live? I see a GN around the corner from my Brothers house, he lives on Stuckert Rd. I live in Warminster, are you heading to Atco tomorrow? Let me know.
Ray

Are you replacing it for looks or as part of your modification goals?

I think UNGN had some stats about a ported elbow with ATR 2.5" ss d/p ($125) as compared to a TH d/p ($400+) that made only a .01 difference in 1/4 time.

Probably not too critical into you get into the 11's. Again, depends on your goals.

Lot's of good archived info. Go for the search button! :)

HTH

Joel

I have a ported elbow + 1.25" puck with an ATR 2.5" ssdp. I went that route for a couple reasons:

- Rather stock appearing
- Is more than I'll need for my goals
- Cheaper than other options

I ported the exhaust housing somewhat to mate up with the stock elbow as best as possible, blending and smoothing the short side radius' as much as possible. I did have to have material welded onto the elbow to get a sufficient sealing surface. It holds over 27psi (in 1st & 2nd) rock solid with a PTE-52.

stock appearing isnt something thats important to me, and there is actually 2 gns and my T in that little area, i live off of street road and 611, i tihnk im going to go with the atr

I'd avoid the two piece 3" DP with stock elbow too. A friend and myself pulled our hair out trying to get one to not leak at the pipe/elbow joint. The leaking problems usually occur with an elbow that has a badly corroded and pitted mating surface to the bigger DP, but in our case, we sourced a nearly perfect elbow with a good surface, but the pipe's mating surface was not parallel to the elbow's mating surface. It either was poor engineering, or poor production to blame.

For $319, I'd go with the Mease DP. It's a very nice unit.

For the money I would get the Mease DP. Mine looks nice and fits perfectly, no leaks. Stay away from the 2piece DP's like the Postons. They leak and dont fit very well.

Originally posted by Pats-GN
For the money I would get the Mease DP. Mine looks nice and fits perfectly, no leaks. Stay away from the 2piece DP's like the Postons. They leak and dont fit very well.

i will definitely second that...mine leaks and looks like crap...it also is always banging around under the car and rattles and it's very annoying...i too am also looking to get rid of this setup...does the keith mease downpipe work like the terry houston pipe and bolt directly to the turbo?

Yes. The pipes are almost exact but Mease uses a better puck than the Houston pipes. Both are good pieces, but Keith's is a heckuva lot cheaper. Check the thread under group purchases.

the only bad thing about getting this DP is that i will have to cut my turbo shield if i get one...i wanted to get a nice chrome one from dc tech...i might be in on this group purchase...