DR's on stock rims

bigz

I've done a search and haven't heard a definite answer to my question, which is are 275 50 15 BFG drag radials ok on the stock rim. I plan on only using these at the track so I'm not worried about anything other than straight line handling. I know alot of people do it but does it hinder performance or safety if the tires are used only at the track. Also what size of DR would be best for the stock rim? Thanks

Mike

They will work but you will probably get uneven tire wear. I run them on the street.

I've got Nitto drag radials on my stock rums. They are 275/50-15

I've got the same 275/50/15 bfg drs on my stock rims. They worked fine for street or strip, just don't get caught in the rain with them. I've had them for about 2 years now and about 6k miles, still have plenty of tread and have seen about 30+ runs down the track with light burnouts. Going to slicks though now for track use as the BFGs are stickin now that I'm making more power, hopefully enough to see 11's next time out with slicks.
I could no longer keep the BFGs to the track last time out unless I launched with little or no boost. Otherwise they are a good tire for street use and low 12's at the track.

Originally posted by FreeJack
For street use..... Do they rub anywhere?
Seems that no GM rearend is set on the frame exactly the same, some guys don't have any rubbing problms with the 275', others do slightly. Mine had a very slight rub on the passenger side when turning on the stock 87 GN rims, an 1/8" spacer took care of that.

Mines rub on both sides but more on the pass side, got a 7/32 spacer its all good now but with a set of aluminum drums will be better.