dual intercoolers??

sick GN

What would happen if you put two intercoolers on one car?? I was just wondering if it would help to just get another intercooler off of a smaller car and somehow hook it to the stock intercooler. I wouldn't weld it just use tubing. I know I should probably just get a stretch one but I was just wondering about the effects this could have.

Thanks

Have no idea. I was just wondering if it would be beneficial to put dual intercoolers on a car and if you would lose any boost or anything by doing it.

Thanks

For the price, I've thought about adding another Ford intercooler in parallel to my car.

Originally posted by Mile Hi GN
Didn't Turbo1dr have dual intercoolers on his Malibu a while back?

Yep, I believe he had a stock location one, and another stocker in front of the radiator both plumbed in parallel.

Speaking of which, what ever happened to him?? Havent seen a post from him in a long time.

Dwight Hayden

Turbo1dr has a 1 1/2 stretch in the stock location and a normal one as a front mount. He has gone 107 mph in the 1/4 so it must work.

GNX7

that is the 107 mph in the 1/8 th !!!!!!!

:D

78 Malibu 3.8L Turbo/Intercooled
Best Times: 8th Mile: 1.43, 6.53, 107.3
TE-70, Stock Ported Iron Heads, Intake and 2.5 Stock Intercoolers
True street car driven 12,000 miles within a year! Driven to Bowling Green, KY. Never been trailered.
Vernon Swindell, Jr

:) :)

he had a web page .... but I don't have it handy.....

Chris

Audi uses dual intercoolers on their 225 hp 1.8L turbocharged TT cars, and they are on the cutting edge of technology. Audi produces the 1.8L Turbo in 180 hp and 225 hp for the TT series, and to get the extra 45 hp out of the engine they rely on the second intercooler, and a few other mods. HTH.

I wouldn't think that two IC s would be any difference in lag compared to one big front mount. I have a home built front mount virtually identical to a TDQ v2 and cant say that there is any additional lag as compared to the stock location IC. There IS considerable additional horsepower available though :D

Dwight Hayden

11.33 with a few bolt ons

Yep, I still have them on the car. If you'd like a picture shoot me an e-mail. turbo1dr@pamlico.net They do require custom fabrication which turns people off from actually making such a set-up.

Maybe I can get them into the 9's after I install a set of aluminum heads.

Hey Chris,
My web page was taken off of Geocities due to breaking one of their rules. Yes, the 107mph was in the 1/8 mile!

Good to see you are still kicking Vernon. Hadn't seen any post from you lately. Ya going to BG?

Lance, hope to see you at BG also . Our normal "Greenwood/Travelodge" back yard party, cookout, and general goodtime will be moved this year to the Plaza lot. Seems that the usual place was booked way ahead of time for another convention.

Take care,

Dwight

Sounds like a good idea. How would you ppe them. In series I would be concerned about is the pressure loss due to higher frictional losses in the secone intercooled and related elbows and pipeing. If you ran the two in parallel I would think the pressure loss would be cut in half. I think you should give it a shot and let us all know how it works. :)