You can type here any text you want

Dual voice Coil Sub question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

88 CuttyClassic

The Enviromental Hitman
I was thinking about getting a rockford HX2 12' sub. They are rated at 250 rms per coil. Would it be better to get a two channel amp and put one channel on each, use a four channel amp and bridge it and use it like i would a two channel amp to get a closer rms match , or get a mono amp and wire it for a 2 ohm load? Say i wire it in parellel to get a 2 ohm load and the amp puts out 500 rms @ 2 ohms, Would this split the power between the two coils like 250 rms x2.

Both voice coils need to have the same signal from the same channel so I would recomend a 2 channel amp bridged mono that is stable into 2 ohms or go with a mono amp that is stable at 2 ohms.

so if i bridge a two channel amp and then wire the DVC sub in parallel will that give me 2 ohm. I'm lookin at crutchfield website right now and they give the rms rating if you bridge a 2 channel amp but its @4 ohms. bridged and wired in parallel will that double that rms rating?

Originally posted by 88 CuttyClassic
"so if i bridge a two channel amp and then wire the DVC sub in parallel will that give me 2 ohm."

The HX2's now offer a dual 2 or 4 ohm voice coil so if you parallel the dual 4 ohm then you will have a 2 ohm load and of you parallel the dual 2 ohm then you will have a 1 ohm load. The drivers load impedence will determine the amplifiers power out put whether it is in stereo or bridged mode so you need to make sure that the amplifier is stable at 2 or 4 ohm before purchase and hook up.

"I'm lookin at crutchfield website right now and they give the rms rating if you bridge a 2 channel amp but its @4 ohms. bridged and wired in parallel will that double that rms rating?"

The impedence load will determine the power output of the amplifier and depending on what model and brand, the bridged mode will generally double the amps power in its specified rating so you need to find out which amplifier to use that will be stable at the HX2's impedence rating (1,2, or 4 ohm). anything less than specified will shut your amplifier down.

Back