You can type here any text you want

Dumb question about changing the chip

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mytta49

Hi
As you can see, I am a novice and learning. I just bought a new chip and not sure where the computer is located. If I remember correctly from what I read a while ago, I have to remove something on the passengers side to get to the computer. What has to be removed to get to the computer so I can change and install the new turbotweak chip and should I disconnect the negative or the positive on the battery.

mytta49 said:
Hi
As you can see, I am a novice and learning. I just bought a new chip and not sure where the computer is located. If I remember correctly from what I read a while ago, I have to remove something on the passengers side to get to the computer. What has to be removed to get to the computer so I can change and install the new turbotweak chip and should I disconnect the negative or the positive on the battery.

If i remember correctly, remove the black trimming underneath the passenger dashboard. The chip is located in a silver box. Once you pull the box out you'll see some screws that you can remove off the box. Pull the small cover off the box and you'll see the chip inside.

Remove the negative battery terminal before doing this.

If you sit in the passenger's seat with the seat full forward, the computer is behind the map pocket in front of your knees. 4 screws to remove the kick panel over your feet, then, two screws to remove the computer.

The wire bundle plugged into the computer is short and does not leave much extra length to do much maneuvering once the computer is loose. Take the little rectangular access cover off and carefully remove your old chip (not the smaller one). Carefully study the position of the old chip and insert the new one the same way. You'll probably see an impression of the old chip in the foam on the access cover, install the new chip to match the impression of the old one. Its not hard, just hard on your back :)

Remove the negative battery cable before any repair.

I never remove the battery cable.. thats too much trouble. All you have to do is pull the ecm plug thats next to the battery. If you follow the red + terminal on the battery you'll see a small plug with a latch, unlatch and pull it apart.

This is the power to the ecm.. as soon as you install the new chip, replug that back in. If you ever get a malfunction"check engine" lite.. this is the plug to reset the computer.

HTH

Julio's right. I do the same thing and never have any issues. Easy. And I never lose my radio presets!

Back