You can type here any text you want

Dutweiller Hot Air Headers install thread.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
I purchased an 84 GN last year to bring the car to complete fruition. At first I thought about doing all the swaps and going i/c but as I thought about the 2000 of these cars how many could be still in existence....let alone a TTOP car. So combined with the thought of being different (which I strive for) and a challenge (which keeps me interested) I decided to keep it a hot air car. As I just first started my car for the first time a couple weeks back, i look forward to everything it challenges me with.

So far I have opened the intake side of the intake. Throttle body is opened, the CAI is a home made 4" into 3" at MAF. I have ported the exhaust elbow, purchased an ATR down pipe from a member on the board, purchased a RJC 3" exhaust. The only thing I am missing was a header option.

With the I/C guys they can pull up many options and hit "buy" and come the headers a week later. With us, not a chance. However, members on the board come up every once in awhile with the "holy grail." When you finally find that "Holy Grail" there is nothing more rewarding!!

A few months ago Mike McVaney which is a member here posted the article of the headers being available... Within a few days, purchased and in my possession. There is not much information if any on the net about these headers. I think it is interesting looking at them and how they work. I see that the O2 sensor is located on the drivers side, which has me scratching my head...Did he think already about making room for the AC compressor? I am very interested to feel them operate. I know Dutweiller has a good Hot Air rep, so I think I will be satisfied.

Now comes the fun in completing the engine build to make it breathe freely. My next steps will include port work of the intake and heads and larger turbo, alky , cam and TQC. Ill post pics on how they look and install as I go to this thread

A good friend that we all know on here taught me to take care of the engine being able to breathe before you go changing any internals or turbo. Good advice.

Thanks Brawny man!

Great find. I would touch them up with some 1400 degree BarBQUE grill/Hi Temp black paint. You are on the right track. Many Hot Air Guys have tossed those headers... Surprisingly they are good headers. One Member has pushed them to 10.98. Look up member, MiAde2d. His car was put together by Lawrence Conley, 7 sec TWEAKED . Conley blueprinted the engine and used GN1 heads. His car is also intercooled using the SPEARCO system and he also uses NOS to launch. Ironically, this car uses the Hooker.Duttweiler Headers, looks to be a ATR 2 1/2 Downpipe and 84-85 Mass Air and a Conley Chip. The NOS is a controller up to 10lbs and shuts off. He is currently using 57lb injectors on the Conley chip. Do a search on MiAde2d and PM him. I was TOTALLY shocked when I found out all the parts on this car. Most HOT AIR guys "TOSS" the SPEARCO Intercooler, Hooker Headers, 84-85 Mass Air and Computer... This car is amazing to me due to the fact this is a combo that WORKS... All HOT AIR guys want to get in the 10's. Years ago, it would have been multiple fights on whether a 84-85 Computer COULD get into the 12 sec... Duttweiler's H/K Stock GN did this in 1985 settting record that Marka Gallina broke. Now with new technology and old parts, MiAde2d has been in the 10's using parts most guys toss....

Which ever way you go with your car, research and continue to learn your car. A LOT OF GUYS complained about Spearco intercoolers, Hooker headers, 84-85 Mass, and not being able to get a 3 inch downpipe. Ironically most could not tune, most didn't fix small problems, and they figured the parts make cars fast... Wrong... The Tune is what makes cars the blazing fast.

No matter whether you are using alky, E85, NOS, Propane, and Intercooled, HOT AIR cars are Different... The faster they are... the more People want to look under the hood... :-)

Attachments

• MiAde2d 1.jpg
    MiAde2d 1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 226
  • MiAde2d 3.jpg
    MiAde2d 3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 231
  • MiAde2d 5.jpg
    MiAde2d 5.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 301
  • MiAde2d 6.jpg
    MiAde2d 6.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 235
  • MiAde2d 8.jpg
    MiAde2d 8.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 240
Duttweiler prototype the headers and Hooker massed produced this.

These headers were modified to use a wastegate to control boost. Note: still using the CRUMMY elbow. The Waste gate string is has springs to keep it shut. Some people mount the wastegate on the crossover and some mount on the up pipe.

Very interesting. So your headers are a copy of my dutweillers with a waste gate change. I ask this because Mike the guy I bought them from feels I will need to change the up pipe as it may not fit correct

I have the same headers (in your pictures above) boxed up in my garage (minus the waste gate). As I said before, Duttweiller prototyped them and Hooker mass produced them. I have collected HOT AIR parts and researched combos for the past 20+ years. The pictures above are not my car, the are member, MiAde2d. Do a member search MiAde2d and read his post. As I have stated before, search the forums and print your finding and bind them to a binder.

Ironically these headers were also used on 86-87 with a different up pipe. Honestly when I bought these headers, I was figuring on using them down the line to twin turbo my T Type.

Is the difference between 84-85 and 86/87 exhaust just the up pipe? And down pipe?

The 86-87 headers got ball and socket over the bolted flanges on the 84-85. The up pipe was different due to the position of the of both 84-85 and 86-87 turbos

Right, what I mean is the up pipe places the turbo in its front position on the intercooled cars? Then you need th down pipe as well due to the new location of the turbo.

I have the same headers (in your pictures above) boxed up in my garage (minus the waste gate). As I said before, Duttweiller prototyped them and Hooker mass produced them. I have collected HOT AIR parts and researched combos for the past 20+ years. The pictures above are not my car, the are member, MiAde2d. Do a member search MiAde2d and read his post. As I have stated before, search the forums and print your finding and bind them to a binder.

Ironically these headers were also used on 86-87 with a different up pipe. Honestly when I bought these headers, I was figuring on using them down the line to twin turbo my T Type.
Sell your headers to me please I have no welding skills or tools to make my own

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks man , much respect, it's taking slot out of me fixing up this 84 learning alot thoe haha

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Back