You can type here any text you want

Dutwieler neck

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kshef

is this a worthwhile investment for a stock 87 GN.....is i good for 30hp???
thanks

Originally posted by kshef
is this a worthwhile investment for a stock 87 GN.....is i good for 30hp???
thanks

Yes, its worth the investment: $70 for the Neck, $30-50 to have it welded on and about 2-4 Hours of handwork.

30 HP is at high boost (big turbo, injectors) on a stock GN its worth maybe 20 HP max, because you will run out of injector/turbo.

It is worth about 1.5 to 2 psi without touching the wastegate.

Re: Re: Dutwieler neck

Originally posted by UNGN
Yes, its worth the investment: $70 for the Neck, $30-50 to have it welded on and about 2-4 Hours of handwork.

30 HP is at high boost (big turbo, injectors) on a stock GN its worth maybe 20 HP max, because you will run out of injector/turbo.

It is worth about 1.5 to 2 psi without touching the wastegate.

Is that detonation free though? It might give you 2psi but wouldn't you have to turn the boost down just that much?

My TTA can run 17psi of boost at 0 KR. If I did this mod and no other change, I should be able to run 18.5-19psi of boost 0 KR if I read what you are saying correctly.

Thanks
Bo

UNGN,
You and I both had this discussion a while back and I found the old thread.

Anyway, I guess the conclusion was installing the neck gave you 2psi and induced a leaner KR while reducing drop pressure and cooling more volume of air resulting in HP gains.

I remember now.

Bo

Re: Re: Re: Dutwieler neck

Originally posted by TT/Ameasap
Is that detonation free though? It might give you 2psi but wouldn't you have to turn the boost down just that much?

My TTA can run 17psi of boost at 0 KR. If I did this mod and no other change, I should be able to run 18.5-19psi of boost 0 KR if I read what you are saying correctly.

Thanks
Bo

The higher the boost, the more likely the detonation...It will allow higher boost more efficiently than without the neck, but it's mainly the absolute potential being raised by about 20 HP on a stock turbo car.

Think of it this way: If 2 psi is lost in the neck of the intercooler, the turbo is actually making 2 psi more boost than it has to to achieve the same manifold boost with the dut neck. A stock turbo is much more efficient at 21 psi than it is at 23 psi and the neck allows the turbo to run 2psi less boost than it would without the neck.

Talk of HP numbers and pump gas are two different things. On pump gas, the neck maybe is worth 2 hp. Like a THDP, the dut neck shows hp gains in all out, go for it, high octane/boost situations. Pump gas hp numbers would be only slightly higher.

Anybody thought of just hacking the neck and slipping a mandrel bent tube or Radiator hose in there with a couple hose clamps? Poor folks like me may benefit from this kind of solution =)

BT6, I just did a quick search at the diesle intake hose sites I have saved. They do make reducer els but not in the 2" to 2.5" size. Maybe somewhere does but the few sites I looked didn't have them. BTW they do have the straight 2" to 2.5" reducer. If you were able to locate an elbow that reduced, the next issue would be the radius. If that works out the next thing I think would be the cut neck not having a bead on it for sealing and the shape of the neck at that point. Then again you may be able to seal with some RVT or something + the clamp. All my sites were American trucks, maybe a metric size is out there for a foreign trucks. Those reducer els that I saw were about $7. If this could be done it would be a true cheapo mod.

If you do this please take some pics if you can and also measure where you cut. It would be interesting to see how far down the neck is 2.5" and if it's still round at that point.

If you come across the instructions I would like to see them. If you can scan them and email to me that would be great.

Wheres a good place to get this? agressive has it i hear, but i can't find it on page..

Here is a shameless plug. :)

Duttweiler Neck Stock Intercooler for sale.

Would work best on a GN due to the BFH overlay for the top of it.

See pics.

No shroud, use your stocker.

Includes the transition hose.

Could use a layer of paint prior to install.

I cleaned it out with gumout and then denatured alky. for a rinse inside. Did it twice now it's completely clean.

Overlay installed for a GN is included it's cost alone is $24.

See pics. here.

http://members12.clubphoto.com/allan631980/1733377/owner-0a12.phtml

Price WITH SHIPPING to the lower 48 states is $195.

Sell your stocker for about $100 after the install to reduce the cost of this mod.

Postal Money orders, personal checks wait until cleared for shipping.

Pressure tested okay!!!

Email boss06518@aol.com

Back