You can type here any text you want

ECM Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

hauserc

I was always told in school there is no such thing as a stupid question. I disagree. Here goes: Where is the ECM module located on an 86 GN. I am getting ready to purchase one and am trying to learn everything I can about the car. I have learned alot from the forum but I cant seem to find where the ecm is located to check the type of chip in the car. Thanks for your help and sorry for the stupid question.

Passenger kick panel down by the door.

I know you probably already figured this out but incase you didnt. Your ecm is contained inside this panel. once you remove that little kickpanel, youll take out the big aluminum brick. (the actual ecm) On the bottom edge of this brick, youll see a little 2"x4" panel secured on by two little sheet metal screws. Unscrew those with a nutdriver, and youll be looking straight at the chip. (on the left side of this opening of course)
To extract this chip, all you have to do is grab the edges, and pull upwards, evenly and slowly. Alot of times, theyre really in there good. only rock it back and forth a tiny bit. When you got it out, youll have the chip, but it's contained inside its little carrier. (the little black plastic frame its in) You can take it out but, it can be very stubborn on some older chips. Id just leave it in. The last picture is the chip extracted out of its home, but layin on the ecm to show what its home looks like without the chip.

kickpanel1.jpg
[/IMG]
ecmpanel.jpg
[/IMG]
ecmpanel1.jpg
[/IMG]
ecmpanel2.jpg
[/IMG]

Back