ecu help

F

fkatzenb

this is my first post, and i have lots of questions... i was talking to a regular on this board, and he recomended that i go with ecu from gm's on my dodge... but first, let me give some background information.

i had a 92 shadow america with the 2.5l and an automatic. i replace this with a 3.0l and 5 spd. now i have done various mods to the exhuast, intake, and suspesion. i am regularly autocrossing it now, and i have plenty more mods i want to do. one of the first things, is that i want to tune it, and make minor adjustments. after that has been achieved, and learn the programming, i want to either add a turbo or super charger to the setup.

the downfalls and limitations of the current computer. supposidly, it can be reprogramed, but now one has done it. why, well from what i understand is that you can only reprogramm sections of it, and would be very hard to deal with when adding a charger. not to mention, you are limited with injector size because of the driver circuits.

[everything below, is what i think i remembered from a conversation, so please correct me if i am wrong. thanks]

it was then that i was encouraged to switch over to a gm ecu, since there are many, to choose from, and are very modular and flexible. i believe the ecu for the cyclone/typhoon was recomended to me because of the charger, and it uses the MAF system. this would be really handy since it could be used for either type of chargers. i would also have to rig a cam sensor (piece of cake), and convert hall effect sensor stuff and wiring harness connectors.

what i wanted to know, is information for the conversion over to a gm ecu, what would be required for the programming to get it to run (or best guestimations), will that cyclone/typhone computer work well with out boost, who has the best information for that computer - maybe sample code and stuff, and anything else you could think of, like hardware and software.

thank you very much!

frank

I would think that for the effort involved in getting a GM ecu to work, you'd be a lot better off just going straight to an aftermarket ecu, such as a DFI or a FAST. More $$$, but a LOT less headache!

John