EFE valve & actuator

Utah Blaine

The EFE actuator on the drivers side exhaust header must have a purpose and I have no idea what it is. I thought I saw a recent post where some one elemated it but can't remember where I read it.

I printed out a page from www.beforeblack.net and see a vacuum line going from the EFE/EGR TVS off somewhere. Is it going to this actuator by chance? If it is how important is the actuator on the exhaust?

I haven't put the headers on yet an would like to eliminate that valve if it isn't a critical piece of equipment.

Thanks

It's there to promote faster warm up on cold start. It blocks off the passenger side manifold and forces the exhaust through passages in the intake to the other side. My '65 Plymouth had a similar set up.

I use 1979 manifolds on my '83. You need to keep the body of the EFE so the crossover pipe can mate to the manifold. I pulled the plate and shaft out of the body, threaded the hole and screwed a bolt into it to plug it.

It's there to promote faster warm up on cold start. It blocks off the passenger side manifold and forces the exhaust through passages in the intake to the other side. My '65 Plymouth had a similar set up.

I use 1979 manifolds on my '83. You need to keep the body of the EFE so the crossover pipe can mate to the manifold. I pulled the plate and shaft out of the body, threaded the hole and screwed a bolt into it to plug it.

Sounds good. I thought about JB Weld but the screw is good too. Back in high school I just sat and waited for my 50 Chevy to warm up and then drove away.