You can type here any text you want

EGR and Chips ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

salvageV6

Daily Driver
Anyway to check to see if a chip has EGR function in it or not.

Direct Scan have a way to view it?

TIA

DS will show EGR duty cycle but not if its actually disabled or not.

Brian, not sure I understand that, if DS is showing an active DC then the egr is being commanded. Or am I wrong? Unless you mean physically disabled which in that case yes, DS can't tell you if its actually operating or not only if a signal is being commanded for it.

If I see it on Direct Scan would it be chip commanded or something on the ECM commanding it but the chip perhaps not implementing it?

One would think if you see it it would be the chip causing the ECM to implement it via a driver for the solenoid.

Chicken or the egg. :p

Have to check it out first with the Extender chip car that I know doesn't have it then move the laptop and try some chips in the other car that might have it.

Thanks for the info. gotta get this car emissions inspected and on the road so I can take salvageV6 apart a bit to get ready for some racing. :cool:

Thanks so far. :)

Oh its def in the chip not the rom, I'm doing some chip work now and just looked at the egr table which is 120 bytes for 600 to 2200RPM lookup values and the $CC address holds the EGR DC which is referenced in the chip code not to mention all the other egr stuff in the chip code.

Why doesn't someone come up with an emissions test passer pulser device for the EGR valve.

That would be cool. :cool:

Do they tell you the pulse rate in the code?

Does it vary a lot vs. rpm?

I wonder if it would hurt emissions pulsing at idle?

Damm this guy asks too many questions. :p

DAMN, thought I got rid'a you ;)

A remote solenoid driver sounds interesting.

Pulse rate varies all over the place depending on being above a min TPS around 2-4% and depending on LV8 and RPM then the code finds the table lookup and I believe calculates a final value from there. Above 1600 RPM egr % could be anywhere from 20 to 100 but up to and including 1200 RPM the range is only 20 to 33%, 1400 RPM is 20 to 90%

Not sure what it would do at idle as far as idle quality and emissions but you could easily test one of these just by squeezing on the valve a little at idle. It won't like it as teh valve first cracks open as thats unmetered air and inert at that.

I got it, remote control 12 volt system like a garage door opener.

When the guy puts it on the rollers at idle leave it off.

Whe he starts to rev. push the button and hold it set the receiver to momentary so when the button is pushed you get 25% DC via a simple switched type circuit.

When he's done "testing" let off the button. ;)

Do it all from the waiting room window. :D

Found a chip that had EGR, for those following use Direct Scan on text mode display since that's the only screen it's visible on. :)

Passed with 10% of max. NOX. :D

CO was about 33% and HC was about 25% of max.

Time to undo the mods.

Toss the cat. and put my TT chip back in.

Thanks for all the help, gonna make a circuit up for the WE4 car since I don't have an EGR chip for that one.

25% DC should do it, trigger on .6 volts tps or so or else rpms.

Back