You can type here any text you want

EGR removal/replacment

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MNcarbturbo

What's Fuel Injection?
My turbo is wasted and was going to replace it soon. Found out my EGR diaphram leaks so it needs to be replaced. Question is, it worth replacing the EGR or should I just create a block off plate and block the ports off? From what I understand the EGR is mostly for emmisions and I dont need to test so theres no reason for it.

The reason for EGR is that it cuts NOX emissions and cuts down on burning temp. This will cut detonation to some degree but the non factory units don't seem to work that well. I've been waiting for one from Aj but he's out in the desert right now and is really crappy about sending stuff to me. You can find a block off plate on evilbay for around $10 plus shipping and it looks pretty nice from the pics.

What year is you turbo set up? On the 82/83, the EGR passage also doubles as the heater for the carb plenum.

At wide opne throttle the EGR turns off. It is open at part throttle. When my EGR was bad, it would cuase some light knocking while cruising down the highway. With a non-ECM car, you could probably richen the mixture a touch and tune it away.

I tried an aftermarket from TOMCO - twice, both failed quickly. I'm using an EGR valve off a 3.8 2-bbl engine now and it seems to work well.

Its an 80 model. Kinda suprised an NA car EGR will fit. Seems like that going from the back of the intake to the back of the plenum

i have a little question by putting a vac cap on the egr does that stop it from working? :confused:

The GM EGR valve is a positive pressure valve Matt. It requires the exhaust pressure and a vacuum source to make it work. If it has no vac signal then it doesn't do anything.

Charlie, I didnt know you needed an EGR valve?

gotta remind me, my stress relief has my memory short!

A.j.

well shucks, I got so much going on if your not actively reminding me, i will forget.

i got a few days here before splitting, im going to try and get matts wheel out and your EGR... tell me quick!

A.j.

i have a little question by putting a vac cap on the egr does that stop it from working? :confused:

Funny I was thinking the same thing about my EGR and left it open with that being said there was a vac line that was a perfect lenth to plug in and when it was the car would sputter out so I left the system stuck on dumb:confused:

Back