You can type here any text you want

EGR system: what can and can't I take away?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

phillyturbosix

Staff member
Looking to remove the EGR from the manifold. Going with one of Mark Hueffmans block off plates and a turbo tweak chip to kill it anyways. Right behind the EGR (heading toward the firewall) is the module that runs the vaccume for the EGR system? Can I remove that as well and plug or T the vaccume lines up? I'm having my manifold jet hot coated and I'd like to expose a little more of the manifold and just clean it up being it's not being used. I'm also having some work done on the plenum. The EGR boss removed and opened up a little as well as work on the throttle body.
So can I take that off and how and what and if anyone has some pictures that would be awesome! Just a little winter project for the car! Thanks! :)

I think you get a trouble code if you just take the thing off and trash it. But if you have a chip that's set up for no EGR, maybe that gets rid of the trouble code. (Code 32) Maybe you can replace the solenoid with a resistor, and get rid of the code, not sure about that.

Yea I'm pretty sure the turbo tweak chip will solve all that with the code it would throw and controlling it. Was wondering about the EGR control box that is behind it. If I can just take that off as well. Can't believe no one has done this before :confused:

with a turbo tweak chip you can just pull off all of the egr system- make sure you plug the hole and i beleive theres a vacume line you need to plug i forget. www.buickgn.com has the egr block offs

Yes you can remove it with no problems. I removed everything part wise from the valve to the control module and all t's in the vacuum lines. Also ground out the egr tower inside the intake manifold to improve airflow to the front 2 chambers as well as cut out and ground down the buldge that the egr valve sat on so you cant see any sign of any egr being there before. Much cleaner look to it than a block off plate. Just fill in the holes in the intake manifold once done with something that can withstand the heat, some even have the holes welded.

soundguy said:
Yes you can remove it with no problems. I removed everything part wise from the valve to the control module and all t's in the vacuum lines. Also ground out the egr tower inside the intake manifold to improve airflow to the front 2 chambers as well as cut out and ground down the buldge that the egr valve sat on so you cant see any sign of any egr being there before. Much cleaner look to it than a block off plate. Just fill in the holes in the intake manifold once done with something that can withstand the heat, some even have the holes welded.

Thanks for the post! If you get a chance can you take a good picture of the driver side of your intake? Just wondering how it will look when I'm done and to see just how you did it. Thanks! :)

i welded my port shut and cut out the passage in the manifold. i have a reds chip and no codes present i dont have the egr solonid or vacuum lines the plugs are just chillin in the loom.

look in the upper part of the pic you can see the weld...
100_1772.jpg

You guys are the best thanks!!! I knew some guys who took the EGR off but most of them seemed to have that solnoid sitting there still. One thing is for sure it's all going! Thanks again guys I'll post some pictures when mine is all done. Hopefully before the spring time! :eek: :)

"mybuick", where did you run the vacuum line to? The one that you have running across your valve cover between the C and K in BUICK?

egr plumbing

Hi,
I guess the chip makes the difference.I think that on a stock system, the ECM might monitor O2 sensor voltage, actuate EGR functions, and look for a change. I know this is is the way it works on my junky old '86 2.8L V6 Firebird.The light came on one night, code 32. Very similar system to what is on the GN and TTA, except no sequential injection. No EGR monitor (I.E. sensor) in the system, but it KNEW when EGR flow was compromised. I tried to get it to pass an emissions test, but no cigar.I dug in, opened up the books, and finally found that the valve itself had failed, diaphragm seperated from it's base and wouldn't pull open the pintle valve.Just an example of how INFERRED data is used on these systems!
If the chip can be engineered to allow the ECM to ignore this issue, no problem. Good luck with your trouble.

Egr Removal Issues

I have heared that removing the Egr will cause detonation, some one with more experience may prove this to be wrong.

no detenation or knock at all here 1,500 miles 4 pases and 2 dyno pulls all within the first 500 miles of the new motor. i broke it in good. in my avatar the engine had 75 miles on it, got the engine in the night before and drove it around at midnight with no exhaust (just the dp) and no hood.

Back