You can type here any text you want

EGT probe questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bye 87GN

On life support
While my engine is down for a new cam, I'd like to install an EGT probe while I have the headers off. I am wondering whether to go with the heavy duty type that RJC sells, or the band type deal that is cheaper. I'd like to hear experiences on either.

It seems that the band clamp would be much easier, since I do not have the equipment to weld a bung on the header for the nice RJC probe:

http://rjcracing.com/EGT_Gages/egt_gages.html

By the way, once you install the probe, do you bend it over or do you let it stick out 12" perpendicular to the header?

RJC's looks like a nice unit. Personally, I use the one that SMC sells. Have them on 3 cars now, and they seem fine. Quick and easy to install too.

http://www.smcenterprises.com

Doesn't look like the EGT pieces are listed, so you'll have to call or email him.

Before I started the thread I searched and found the thread you started back in 2002. I went to his website and didn't see any EGT stuff listed so I wasn't sure if he still sold them. I'll drop him a line and see if he still has them.

Any other experiences anyone?

I put my SMC EGT in the flat part of the manifold between 2 and 4 cylinders. Piece of cake and hasn't even burned up yet, like half the probes I've seen under the turbo...

:D

EGT
This is the guy I gought mine off of but its different then this one, mine is much nicer . His website seems to be down right now but mine is a dual input with a recal, large display and backlight, it uses a 1/8"npt tap so no welding is required or a band clamp. Have only really used it once at the track and seemed to work great. Any other questions let me know.

SMC still sells an EGT kit...they just don't have it listed on their website...give them a call...and Yes you can carefully bend the probe...at least I did on my SMC kit...

One will give some info, but not knowing if it is the hottest or coldest cylinder still makes tuning a crapshoot.
Before spending cash on an EGT, I would invest in a power plate, port the intake and remove all of the EGR stuff in the plenum. If all of that is done, then put in the other 5 senders! JMHO
TIMINATOR

Back