Electronic Boost Controllers

92GNZ28

I have an '87 GN with a PT52 internal WG and Precision Front mount, etc...

I am thinking of getting a greddy profec B and was wondering how this hooks up with a standard style wastegate. Do you just disconnect it and let the solenoid do the work or what?

Are you asking if you unhook the wastegate? Then how would you control boost?
The Profec B Spec II comes with its own solenoid that replaces the stock solenoid and hooks up in the exact same way. Other than that, it's just like stock.

I don't understand for the life of me the fascination with "electronic boost controllers"....must be the old fart in me

unless you need to precisely control launch boost and gear by gear boost, they are no earthly good....BTW, I don't know of any car that needs that kind of boost control unless it is a sub 9 sec unit

why waste money on a "boost controller" when a piece of vacuum hose, grainger valve, and adjustable wastegate will do the job?

No eartly good? OK. :rolleyes:
What ever happened to not saying anything if you don't have anything positive to add?
I chose to "waste" my money on the Profec B in the same manner that you chose to "waste" money on your car.

I guess my fascination stems from having the ability to control spool up boost the same way a grainger valve would, being able to select from three different boost settings by pushing a button, and having an overboost control that could save me more money than the initial investment in the controller.

Sorry, but I guess I just don't like being told I wasted my money when we're only talking about $300.

if it makes you feel good, go for it!

but I still don't understand how someone can "have 3 different boost settings" without modification of the other elements of a tune (such as fuel and timing.....)

as I said, I am an old fart and as you pointed out have "wasted" many $300 things on my car also

but, I do not have to offer somethig "positive" if I feel otherwise!!

Originally posted by azgn
but I still don't understand how someone can "have 3 different boost settings" without modification of the other elements of a tune (such as fuel and timing.....)

I guess something else that I wasted money on was an 8 position thumbwheel chip that allows me to change fuel and timing right along with the boost via the boost controller.

For $500 I can change boost, timing, and fuel without leaving the driver seat. ;)

HI is the profec b a feed back style system? now I have a bstc & looking for something better. also have a rjc works great!

not to beat a dead horse, but ASSuming you have the octane/alky to go with your settings, why would you change them once optimized? I can understand a "street" and "race" setting, but don't see any reason why this would need to be done on the fly......

I think a boost controller would be great if it would operate a 2 step based on boost and allow exacting launches...... the only one I know of that does that is the Innovative and it costs $2K

Originally posted by azgn
not to beat a dead horse, but ASSuming you have the octane/alky to go with your settings, why would you change them once optimized? I can understand a "street" and "race" setting, but don't see any reason why this would need to be done on the fly......

You've really steered this thread off course. At least the original poster will get to see what I use the boost controller for.

It has nothing to do with "on the fly"...who said anything about that?
With the controller off I get whatever boost the wastegate is set at and flip on the 93 octane program. Never know when the GN will have to double as the daily driver. ;)
I have 3 110 octane programs in the chip, each with a little different fueling. Since 110 is available at a pump local to me for about $3.20 a gallon, it's perfect for running around on the street.
The last 3 spots had 116 octane programs in them that were intended to be used as track only programs. Never got to use them though.
If someone wouldn't need this ability, then your grainger valve and adjustable wastegate work perfect. That's how I was setup previously.

Maybe it was money that could have been spent somewhere else, but I don't care. I like it for the sole purpose of not having to pop the hood to go from street to track.

Hey Woody....what was the original question in this thread?
Ask yourself whether or not you have provided anything helpful to 92GNZ28?
Seems to me that you've pushed your opinion on a part you don't even own just because you feel it's a waste of money.
Nowhere in the original post was it asked whether or not anyone felt this was a worthwhile purchase, just how it worked.
And of course you are allowed to have your own opinion, it just seems to me you should be offering an opinion based on the original question.

Originally posted by chazmat2316
HI is the profec b a feed back style system? now I have a bstc & looking for something better. also have a rjc works great!

Yes.

yet again woody has a way of ****ing things up.:rolleyes:

many of us like the electronic boost controlers becuase they are a feedback system that will compensate for different conditions without having to fine tune becuase of this.some of us are in climates that change day by day and will cause havoc on boost control.my boost is were i have it programed "all the time".
as we all know,there are alot of this that we need to keep an eye on in a turbo car.and one less thing to worry about is almost priceless.

nothing personal woody.your probably a nice guy.but you really need to be a little more open minded and less stuborn.i have used a system close to yours with good sucess also.you are very knowledgeable and have been a help to me in the past.but just becuase something is diffrent doesnt mean its bad.

azgn's system works very well.its just old school;)

Nick,

One of the best features of the Greddy Profec, is it's ability to pull back boost, ( at a given % ) if you start to exceed the set max. That is priceless. It also will allow you to spool the turbo more quickly. 92GNZ28, it is a complete direct replacement for the stock set up. Brian

A bleeder, been there done that see ya. Like a few others have said nothing like having the same boost all the time regardless of the weather, here in the NE, today it is 20 tomorrow it could be 50. Big difference, the last thing I need is to take my car out when it is cold and over-boost it and pick up my crankshaft from the highway. Just my 2 cents.....

Oh and for those, the last thing you can look at constant is the boost gauge in a 9sec car. The priority is keeping both hands on the wheel and eyes glued to the road when on a blast. Trust me:eek:

I will readily admit to being "old school" and also an old fart

I just don't see the value of the things, but if you feel they are worth the trouble, go for it.......

I'll stick with my bleeder, adjustable wastegate, and FAST to take care of boost matters

Hey Woody, Happy Belated Birthday.

Maybe think about what these guys are after this way. When you moved to a FAST you received, among other things, a killer full time feedback wideband fuel control setup which will do its very best to nail and maintain the A/F ratio you specify. In my opinion the only way to fly. Well, that's what they're after and have found for boost control. Should beat the hell outa old school boost control including of course the stock non feedback ecm for all weather conditions and even alky conditions, spray a little too much and normally boost drops off, well this system should fix/handle that too.

I'm actually surprissed FAST doesn't have an integral or optional boost controller considering all the boosted customers out there now. I don't know if they have one, maybe they do, but if they don't I bet they get lots of requests for something and will have something in the future.

You can't tell me that if FAST did come out with a feedback boost control setup you wouldn't want to use it now would you considering how much fuel control you get with the wideband feedback control? ;) But as you said, knock yourself out on what you like and like to use.

P.S. Keep us updated somewhere from time to time on how your cars doing track wise, I know you've put a lot of parts and effort in the new setup and I for one would like to know how the tuning is going.
peace, out.

Well, the FAST actually has a boost sensor, but no feedback for control....I think the new XFI may have that?

Have not really run the car hard as of yet (always some issue, usually involving leaks of some type...vac & exhaust) it has run 10.45@129 at just under 26 lbs of boost....I expect with the present turbo (Limit 70GTP) it can do 10.2's at higher boost...to go faster would prolly require going back to the GTQ turbo

(it ran a 10.6 at 22 lbs this past weekend on Mickey DR's...now that's fun....no tire changing)

If, as you say, these controllers help guys with their tune, then go for it!

Not to hijack the thread, but can you guys explain exactly what you mean by a "Feedback system" for boost control? I also am trying to decide what to do about boost control.

Boost Kills Stress - How can this help with compensate with alky? I'd appreciate it if you could give more of an explanation. I am considering making some changes, and looking for info. Thanks alot.

FWD,
If its a true feed back system then during the entire time the controller is adjusting boost its trying to maintain a boost target you specify by raising and lowering solenoid pulsewidth to try and stay on this target. The stock TR systems usually just have a single pw value programmed in the chip across the entire RPM range although you can adjust it for a boost curve if you can burn chips, anyway so if the boost drops because your flooding the engine with alky, the stock system can't raise pw and help try to get the boost back on target but the feedback can so you should also have much better boost control when trying to tune alky in. I "think" Razor uses a electronic boost controller but not sure if its feedback or not, that may explain one part of why his TTA was so freakin fast on alky.

Now I've not run or messed with any EBC's so I'm kinda assuming from what I'm reading about others using these controllers that some of them sense pressure and are thus feedback since they know what the pressure is and can adjust to try and hit your boost target. If the EBC doesn't have some type of internal boost sensing hardware like a map or pressure transducer then it can't be a feedback system and is basically just a bleed like the stock TR setup at that point. But looking at the cost of some of those things, they better know what the boost is and adjust to the target very well.

my .02

Thank you Mark, that information is very helpful. I will definitely need to research this further and look into getting one of these. Sounds like a really nice feature to have. Might be worth the $300.

No problem, I'm looking on ebay now at the Greddy Profec B Spec II and the Apexi avcr which both seem to be feedback controllers. I don't know if there are others out there. Thinking about it, these would seem to be the cool setup for running alky and still having your boost if you happen to apply a little too much alky by accident or to suppress knock. Too bad there not a little cheaper but I guess ya gotta pay to play with these cool toys :cool:

Now if there was just one of these controllers out there that tied into the knock sensor and would learn and adjust boost as high as it could until a tickle of knock was detected then scale back just a tad basically learning a max boost curve for all driving conditions, now that would be trick.