You can type here any text you want

Engine Blocks

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

arkansasfiddler

arkansasfiddler
Could a supercharged version of Buicks engine be used in turbo applications? They should have all the good internals and should hold up. Just curious

I believe there are several threads on this. Unfortunately, I think the bottom line is, "no".

at7we2 said:
I believe there are several threads on this. Unfortunately, I think the bottom line is, "no".
WRONG!!!!

There are several guys out there running the Series II 3800 turbocharged in front wheeldrive Regal GS's and Pontiac GTP's. There are several guys running turbocharged RWD motors in F-bodies. However getting one into a G-body isn't worth the trouble yet. I'm planning on doing one later to put in a tiny 61 Buick Special or a Corvair.

do not mean using the super. oh nooo. i mean using the short block and my turbo (and all attendant stuff) .

CTX-SLPR said:
WRONG!!!!

There are several guys out there running the Series II 3800 turbocharged in front wheeldrive Regal GS's and Pontiac GTP's. There are several guys running turbocharged RWD motors in F-bodies. However getting one into a G-body isn't worth the trouble yet. I'm planning on doing one later to put in a tiny 61 Buick Special or a Corvair.

whoa, whoa, whoa! wait a minute! I didn't say you couldn't put a turbocharger on a front-drive series II!?!? they early GTP was turbo-charged not supercharged. I don't believe that was the question. The way I *interpreted* the question was, "could a short-block from a supercharged front-drive car be substituted for a 109 block in a turbo Buick?" now I may have been *assuming* :rolleyes: too much about the question, but that's a common question and a logical one. I've followed a couple of those threads myself in the hopes it could be done. And, from what I've read and heard, the front-drive blocks just won't work and it's not worth the trouble (yet) to convert a rear-drive N/A F-body 3800 to a G-body turbo Regal application.

take it easy with your all-caps and exclamation points CTX-SLPR ;) I don't claim to be an expert, and I don't even claim to play one on TV. :p

at7we2 said:
whoa, whoa, whoa! wait a minute! I didn't say you couldn't put a turbocharger on a front-drive series II!?!? they early GTP was turbo-charged not supercharged. I don't believe that was the question. The way I *interpreted* the question was, "could a short-block from a supercharged front-drive car be substituted for a 109 block in a turbo Buick?" now I may have been *assuming* :rolleyes: too much about the question, but that's a common question and a logical one. I've followed a couple of those threads myself in the hopes it could be done. And, from what I've read and heard, the front-drive blocks just won't work and it's not worth the trouble (yet) to convert a rear-drive N/A F-body 3800 to a G-body turbo Regal application.

take it easy with your all-caps and exclamation points CTX-SLPR ;) I don't claim to be an expert, and I don't even claim to play one on TV. :p
The early GTP also used the Chevy 3.1L 60º V6 with a turbocharger not the 3800 Series I. There is about 0 parts interchange without fabrication between the classic 3.8, the 3800 Series I and the 3800 Series II, however there is interchange between a 3800 Series II and a 3800 Series III. The 97+ F-bodies with V6's got the L36 3800 Series II NA V6 which has been turbocharged and run sucessfully, there is a guy on here that has been asking about rear gear ratios recently with this setup.
I did state that putting it into a G-body wouldn't be worth effort but I guess I should have expanded to include the lack of interchange. Like you mentioned, no the short block won't work, and likely nor will the entire motor because of the big difference in the front suspensions of a Rack and Pinion, McPherson Strut F-body with a Recirculating Ball, Quadrant and Sector double A-arm G-body interfearing with the oilpan. I run into this problem with oilpan clearance on my hybrid but that is because its going into a rear steer, centersump oilpan ancient Buick upper A-arm, lower I-beam with brake strut rod suspension that puts the centerlink behind the oilpan sump.
Sorry for the dramatic CAPS and !!!'s, just I'm split 3 ways with my project between the Classic Buick (body), Turbo Generation (motor and tranny), and the L67 SC3800 Series II (Engine Management) and this kind of tickled 2 of the pieces.

i got a rebuilt 1987 3.8 la sabre motor with less than 1000 miles on it and a matching rebuilt trans if anyone is interested- will consider trades- i got $3000. in the two pieces.$1800. on the motor and $1200. on the trans.

Back