Engine oil cooler selection

PaulRV6

I am considering getting the Tru Cool plate design oil cooler from Racer Wholesale for $44.00. It measures 5-3/4x11x1-1/2 and has .5" NPT threaded connections with 24 rows.

I am wondering if this is sufficient or I need more to replace the instock rad one. Does the price sound reasonable?

Please let me know what you think.

paul

I bought a perma cool 8x11 with 10" fan for 130 bucks so for $44, you are getting a good deal. I didn't have any room to mount it in the airfllow so I had to get one with a fan. Mine is also a tube and fin type with a "turbolator" thing is the tubes so you will be better with a stacked plate from what I read on here.

It depends on fin design

The fin design is as important as the fin count. The multi pass single tube in fin design coolers are cheaper but not as efficient. The fin type type that B&M makes (Summit P/N BMM-70265 for a similiar size) is extremely efficient. I'm a fan of this unit.

I was using it in a heat exchanger project last year, and was blown away by the heat extraction rate. It was pulling out 1600 watts in 90°F ambient conditions. That was blowing air through the cooler at about 10m/s (around 20mph).

It was enough to drop the oil temperature from 223°F to 194°F while flowing 0.66 gpm. Coulda been way better if there wasn't this scalding heat here in FL all the time.:)

I'll crawl back under my rock now.

The P/N that you listed Ellis is a stacked plate design, but not sure how many rows it has. The one I was considering is also a stacked plate design but just a little taller (5.75" vs 4.5"). I guess I should be ok then. Thanks

paul