You can type here any text you want

Engine Oil Cooler

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chevellejoe

What is the good and the bad with having the stock Engine Oil Cooler. I recently picked up a GN with the Oil Cooler taken out. The motor has a lot of work, just curious why the engine builder would not have use it.:confused:

Who knows why people don't use them. I put a Earls external cooler on mine, some use the stock cooler and other's use nothing. I guess its all a matter of opinions. I would use one because your sending your oil through a turbo that can reach temps of 1600F. IMO its a no brainer to run a cooler (same goes for the trans). I guess for the hardcore racer adding a cooler is adding weight, I did it for peice of mind.

Yeah that's what i was thinking. I have an extra universal oil cooler adapter, just need the lines to hook up to the radiator. I have herd those lines are pretty pricey, has anyone found a cheaper way? I was going to use two 5/8 rubber hoses like the ones used in the universal kits, I just need the fittings for the radiator. I would figure they are metric thread just not sure of the size.

It certainly won't hurt anything running a cooler but most ditch it because it helps clean up the engine bay, removes lines that may potentially leak, etc. I was always told if you constantly run your car hard on the street or in hot climates, run a cooler. Race cars may not run them because they only run a short 1/4 pass and are done. Heck, some race cars don't run engine coolant!:D

Most ditch it due to losing a motor and having bearing debris in it. Then take into account, a lot of GN's are not driven daily or even for long distances at a time so the oil doesn't get really hot in the first place.

Oil coolers help with keeping oil at a certain viscosity, what guys like myself due when we ditch the cooler is run a thicker oil to make up for the lack of a cooler. It's not the same but I don't drive my GN for longer than a half hour usually anyways.

Oil doesn't go through a 1600 degree turbo unless it's being pumped through the exhaust housing. The housing radiates heat into the center section, but not enough to create a 1600 degree environment that the oil touches.

Back