You can type here any text you want

Engine prep and clean up tips

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

psycho6cyl

Ponies Are For Lil Girls
So I finally tore my motor apart to the short block. I have surfaces to clean like the deck. Whats the best way to clean it..I was going to.stuff piston holes w lintless rags and block the intake. Also what tap/chaser do I need to clean head bolt threads?
Thx

I like using a diamond stone to dress the deck and a countersink to bevel the hell out of the head bolt holes.

On the threads, the correct way to do it is with a thread chaser.... but I've been using a tap for years then following up with a wire brush in a drill motor.

The head bolt threads are 7/16" 14 course thread. Use some light lube like WD40 with the thread chaser.

I use carb cleaner with a white lint free cloth to do clean-up. Scrub it till no more black comes off on the cloth, then finish it again with MAF cleaner, which leaves no residue. As always, use your gloves, eye protection and good ventilation.
Clean, clean, clean!

Chase holes as mentioned w/ tap fluid.....blast holes clean with brake cleaner.

Scrape deck clean being careful not to gouge the mating surfaces. Shop vac the crap out.

Wipe down deck with acetone and light colored rags until they are clean.

I use permatex #2 on the threads (after they are cleaned with acetone or equiv) of the head studs/bolts it stays pliable and is very tenacious on the threads

Last edited:
Back