Engine Rebuild Tips

nrkey

I need a hand from the buick guru's out there. I am having the motor rebuilt in my 86 GN. I have amild cam from ATR, 36# injectors and matching chip, ta49 turbo, and dutweiler neck on I/C.
The builder is local and has an enormous amount of experience building big block blown monsters. He knows there are inherent differences in building a turbo 6.. The questions are, what kind of machine work should be done to prep the block, port work on heads etc...
what kind of information will he need and where can I get it, so he can build the engine with performance and drivability in mind.
I know this is an enormous and open ended question but, since most people here have crossed this bridge, I am hoping I do not have to reinvent the wheel.
Frogive my vagueness, but i am a computer engineer not an engine builder so I don't know the specific question to ask.

thank you all for the help..
Ken

Couple of places

Check out GMHTP magazine website, in there there is an old article by Jack Merkel of Merkel Performance detailing a step by step engine rebuild, gives part numbers, block work and head work suggestions as well. Also go on gnttype.org there is a ton of good information there and here as well. Do a search in this forum and that too will bring up a ton of information.

Tell your engine builder to be careful, this isn't a bbc, you are right in taking the first step in saying there are inherent differences and those are many.

Remember it is after all a V-6 :D

Good luck and have fun
Steve Chambers

That is great advice from Steve. That was a three part "story" in GMHTP and should give your builder some good guidelines on what to be mindful of.

You might also want to check out a Poston's catalog. They have a few good books just about Buick engines. Search for Poston's under the vendor section on gnttype.org and order their catalog or just contact them about the books. Great info and the books only run about $20 a piece.

You can get the Jack Merkle articles info on the GM Hi Tech web site. Great Info!!! Jack Merkle also has a web site with info about our engines. Just do a search.