Engine timing question

Jan Larsson

Building new engine, put cam chain on and I'm pretty sure I had no 1 cylinder at TDC then lined up the dots on the crank gear and cam sprocket thing.

Did degree the setup and ended up spot on at 110 degrees as per the camshaft spec card.

Put front cover and other bits on and just want to make sure I did not line up the dots wrong as I guess the cam one can be 180 degrees off.

Started to wonder when I put the heads on to check piston to valve clearance using clay on top of the piston and none of the valves touched it .... how fare down is the piston on a stock LC2 when the valves are fully open? Halfway is what mine looks like ...

Anyway, is there an easy way to determine if I got the crank and cam lined up properly without taking the front cover off or degreeing the cam again?

Sounds about right to me!

If the heads were off when you had the no.1 at the top and you lined up the cam and crank gear dot to dot then you'll be fine. Without heads there can be no compression or exhaust stroke.
Doug

"Dwell time" on the crank going over TDC can allow you to miss the correct timing on the chain.
Degree it, and be sure it's correct.

Building new engine, put cam chain on and I'm pretty sure I had no 1 cylinder at TDC then lined up the dots on the crank gear and cam sprocket thing.

Did degree the setup and ended up spot on at 110 degrees as per the camshaft spec card.

Put front cover and other bits on and just want to make sure I did not line up the dots wrong as I guess the cam one can be 180 degrees off.

Started to wonder when I put the heads on to check piston to valve clearance using clay on top of the piston and none of the valves touched it .... how fare down is the piston on a stock LC2 when the valves are fully open? Halfway is what mine looks like ...

Anyway, is there an easy way to determine if I got the crank and cam lined up properly without taking the front cover off or degreeing the cam again?

Chuck he did degree it I guess your eyes must be going in your old age. J/K
BTW are you still doing the Injector Thing? Still doing the garage door thing over here!
I'll call you sometime when I'm in the area and we'll get some BBQ!
Doug

Yep..

Chuck he did degree it I guess your eyes must be going in your old age. J/K
BTW are you still doing the Injector Thing? Still doing the garage door thing over here!
I'll call you sometime when I'm in the area and we'll get some BBQ!
Doug

it's hell getting old. NOT near what it's cracked up to be!:biggrin:
Still doing the inj thing.
The BBQ here in the country is not as good as it was over in Lawrenceville... But, I manage to survive!:cool: