Ester or PAG

McGuyver

It is time to ditch the R-12. Initially I was just going to put a new dryer in, pull a good vacuum and go back with R-134A. Since the front seal was slinging a little oil, the new plan is to pull the compressor, tear down and reseal. I will take Turbo6inKY’s advice on the RockAuto condenser and replace that too.
Does the residual mineral oil in the hoses and evaporator amount to enough that I should use ester oil or is it best to go with PAG? What weight PAG is recommended? How many oz in each component?
Anyone know what size adapters are needed. Low side looks like 7/16” and high side 3/8”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is time to ditch the R-12. Initially I was just going to put a new dryer in, pull a good vacuum and go back with R-134A. Since the front seal was slinging a little oil, the new plan is to pull the compressor, tear down and reseal. I will take Turbo6inKY’s advice on the RockAuto condenser and replace that too.
Does the residual mineral oil in the hoses and evaporator amount to enough that I should use ester oil or is it best to go with PAG? What weight PAG is recommended? How many oz in each component?
Anyone know what size adapters are needed. Low side looks like 7/16” and high side 3/8”?

The condensor is the low point in the system, that's where all the old crap collects. Since you're replacing the condenser, it's trivial to run a can of AC flush through the evaporator and the lines and blow it out with compressed air. Then seal it up and draw it down to get the moisture out.

Then you can top it off with whatever lubricant comes in the compressor.

unless you are changing every component I wouldn't risk it on the pag . nothing wrong with ester and its just piece of mind

I will go with the Ester and report back in 2-3 weeks with results and any lessons learned.

adapters come in a kit for about 5 bucks. They only fit one way. Don't forget to replace the orfice tube as well.

Picked up a set of adapters but have not had a chance to take a good look at them. Consensus is definitely the Ford orifice tube, about half say blue which is the largest orifice and about half say red like grass doctor. Red is one size down from the blue. I am going to see how the blue does, mostly because amazon already delivered it. I could send it back but it should be fine.