You can type here any text you want

Exh valve material[s]..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Recently I 've seen some discussion about this subject.
Here's a post about Inconel, and "superalloy".. Interesting read.

Inconel IS "superalloy" ... but there is a whole range of different "superalloys", the most modern of which, I feel, are ODS (Oxide-Dispersion Strengthened) alloys, in either Iron, Nickel, or Cobalt bases.

ASM Aerospace Specification Metals and Export Co. has a good superalloy collection which should give you SOME idea what kind of variety we're talking about here. However, they do not have any ODS alloys, and ODS alloys aren't even ALLOWED in Formula 1 because of their high cost, and the fact that they are technically a Metal Matrix Composite. (which is a class of substances outlawed in their entirety)

Anyway, MatWeb is another place you can look to compare various materials and metals.
Saab likes to use Nimonic alloy 80A in their high-end exhaust valves. The data-sheets I have on that show superior high-temp strength/weight compared to almost every Inconel alloy. (most after-market valves are Inconel 625, IIRC)

LOTS of in-depth discussions at this website... Gotta register to view some of the advanced engine threads.. Well worth the couple minutes.
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17503

Back