You can type here any text you want

Exhaust downpipe 'fitting' - need sources

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Phyrexii

I'm feeling dumb here...

I do not have, nor have I ever seen, a downpipe for these turbos.

The turbo (from an 81 or 82 Regal) has a three hole connection to the downpipe, the flange is counterbored, and there are three shoulder bolts with springs connecting the downpipe to the turbo. I've only seen bolts like that used with a ball and socket style connector, but that seems to contradict the counterbore in the housing - I would think that some kind of a sleeve would fit in there.

I have tried (to no success) to look for a downpipe for these Buicks. Are they impossible to get? All I actually need is a short section of the pipe where it connects to the turbo, and the 3-holed flange - the rest needs custom fabrication anyway.

Any idea where I can buy such a thing, or how I can make such a thing? I do have a seperate turbo exhaust plate (the part that has the wastegate poppet on it) that has a more normal 2 bolt ball and socket fitting, but I would rather not change it out if I don't have to.

Thanks, guys!

The original used a donut "like" gasket only it had a steel flange on the back of it and it slid down firmly into turbine outlet and resting on the counterbore, it worked like a ball and socket joint the down pipe had a flared end and a 3 hole sliding flange around the pipe, It don't move very much though but it DOES move. I got one from napa, It was in a whole turbo gasket sealing kit. You can order aftermarket downpipes like the factory ones but they are horribly crush bent. If I had the time and a little money I'd make my own DP out of mendrel u bends.

Somewhere in the before black section one of the member posted his design for a 2.5" downpipe. I have the link some where but I'll have to find it. Several of us wanted him to make them for us but he never came back on.

Back