You can type here any text you want

Exhaust Valve Guide

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cmgreen

I'm curious. When I take my heads in for machining I know they will machine the exhaust valve guide to make it narrow to accommodate the new seals but will it be necessary to machine the exhaust guide shorter as I noticed the exhaust guide is a little taller than the intake guide.

It exhaust guide is taller because it doesn't come with a seal from the factory. They will have to lower it to match the intake, then cut it. If you're going to re use stock exhaust valves don't put seals on the exhaust. Although it would be WELL worth it to have the stock valves backcut if you are going to reuse them. Getting rid of that ski jump is a great way to increase flow. Also see if you have the budget to get them top open the bowls up while they're doing the valve job. That's just free horsepower and throttle response. It's amazing how much iron the factory left hanging out in the way of the valve.

If you ever plan up getting a bigger cam, now it the time to have them measure and possibly lower both of them. (wouldn't be a bad idea to narrow the pedestals if you ever want to upgrade to roller rockers too).

If there's anything you want to do to these heads that require metal chips, now is the time to do it.

If you reuse the stock exhaust valves, don't cut the guides! If you cut them for seals, use aftermarket valves with smooth stems. Then they can be cut to the same height. Since the heads are off, I would do as Earl suggests and grind out the bowls. It makes a big difference for a small amount of work. Back cutting the valves is also a great modification. I would also grind the rocker shaft pedestals for roller rockers and cut the guides down far enough for correct retainer to seal clearance for future cam upgrades as Earl suggested. A few bucks extra now is well worth it.

Back