You can type here any text you want

Expand stainless muffler neck - Can I DIY?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
I received the Pypes system last night with plans to start installing tonight. I test fitted the mufflers to the pipes so I wouldn't have to find out later if there is a problem. Either tailpipe slides nicely into either muffler's center outlet, not sloppy at all. The midpipe is a different story. The midpipe OD's are 2.497" to 2.513". Offset inlet side of the muffler ID's are 2.496" to 2.518". Obviously the tolerances are close but won't work even if I mix and match; the midpipe has to go inside the muffler.

I have rented a tailpipe expander from Autozone in the past and it worked good. However it was on mild steel. Stainless is alot harder and my compressor is not hooked up in my house yet so I will have to strap the mufflers down to a work table and use a breaker bar. I would think I only need to move them maybe .020". The necks are slit about an inch but I want to expand the majority of the neck so I can slide it to the hilt if need be for fitment. I will be using band clamps instead of the supplied horseshoe clamps.

Tell me I will have enough oomph to clearance the inlet necks.

Why not just run them down to your local muffler shop, and spend of few bucks to have them do in on their machine? Take the mufflers and mid pipe and make sure they understand to take it in tiny steps so you can test fit to get it right, and not too much expansion.

the expander will expand stainless but what you're after can be done with a little muscle or heat the muff ends with a torch , it will slide together

I received the Pypes system last night with plans to start installing tonight. I test fitted the mufflers to the pipes so I wouldn't have to find out later if there is a problem. Either tailpipe slides nicely into either muffler's center outlet, not sloppy at all. The midpipe is a different story. The midpipe OD's are 2.497" to 2.513". Offset inlet side of the muffler ID's are 2.496" to 2.518". Obviously the tolerances are close but won't work even if I mix and match; the midpipe has to go inside the muffler.

I have rented a tailpipe expander from Autozone in the past and it worked good. However it was on mild steel. Stainless is alot harder and my compressor is not hooked up in my house yet so I will have to strap the mufflers down to a work table and use a breaker bar. I would think I only need to move them maybe .020". The necks are slit about an inch but I want to expand the majority of the neck so I can slide it to the hilt if need be for fitment. I will be using band clamps instead of the supplied horseshoe clamps.

Tell me I will have enough oomph to clearance the inlet necks.
You dont need much.. Especially if they are slotted ... If using band clamps ... Keep the clearance MINIMAL!

Good news, it looks like the slotted portion of the muffler neck was slightly collapsed, presumably during production. I got the Autozone tool and had everything clearanced in 1 minute. Slid right together like it's supposed to. I have it mocked up under the car, used antiseize on all the joints for lube. Now to start securing and leveling it. It is a pain lying on my back but at least I am in the garage with a good fan on me.

System is in. Quiet! Got it hung all by myself and it wasn't hard, just time consuming. Took about 5 hours in reality but I was checking/measuring/etc. I had to cut the midpipe 3/8" on each end to get it to fit behind the cat. Other than that it was just a matter of twisting pipes and clamping them down to gain clearances where needed. I am glad I bought it. Pretty simple install.

Back