You can type here any text you want

Extra Head stud washers?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbocamino1

turboholic
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I have seen it mentioned several times but i couldnt find info on why? and is it the 2 studs at both ends of the each head... Also, is there a certain thickness of washers that is to be obtained? ...or is it relative to how many times head has been surfaced? thanks.

i have done a lot of studded heads and to date havent encountered the issue that i keep seeing posted and they are talking about the outer studs toward the intake (under valve covers)
and i do check for thread prior to dropping the washer on

if the threads are below the surface of the head before washer goes on than you are fine

if not (as some have said its a big problem) just drop another washer on that stud
same washers as you use on the rest just double up

I did not know about the need for extra washers when I did my motor, I'll be sure to check it next time. So far no problems with only 1 washer on each stud.

No kidding. I never checked when I did mine 2 years ago. It never leaked. Since the center maine bearings failed i took it all apart. I did notice the outer bolts did stick up higher. I will check them out when I put it back together.

D

"if the threads are below the surface of the head before washer goes on than you are fine" Thats the info i was looking for...thanks guys.

I've never encountered such an issue, or heard of it before.

I always chase the the holes with a tap to make sure the threads are super clean, and bottom the studs in the block but with a little back-off so they aren't hard bottomed.

I did studs and new gaskets last fall and I checked for this issue and I did find that the threads were above the head so I used extra washers.

ks

Ever heard of fastener stretch and gasket compression??? Those two items will cause the nut to hit the shoulder of the stud. It's funny how people are told and can plainly see that the fasteners are longer than the others and they still roll the Dice vs. Simply adding a washer....I don't care how close you think it is...there is no question that the two mid length studs are blatantly longer than the others. You can lead a horse to water.......

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Back