You can type here any text you want

F-d up flywheel??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chicagoTTA

Crack Baby
How common is this???

After my Dyno run, (see my last post) I get this HORRIBLE clanking/chattering sound at idle for a while. Everytime I start it. Louder than s**t. I followed the sound, and it seems that the flywheel is warped and hitting the inspection cover.

Anyone else have this issue? Is this possible?? It's LOUD, LOUD , LOUD. Drives fine, and seems to go away while driving. I assume the heat and cintrifical (sp) force may make it go away temporarily?

Assuming I'm right, how hard is it to get a replacement? And, should I be looking toward (assuming there is one) a lightweight flywheel or some sort of upgrade?

This isn't the end of the world, since I have to replace my rear main and will be in there putting in a converter anyway. Just a PITA for a 4k mile car. BULLS**T I say.

Why would this happen during a dyno run???:confused:

Sorry for the long post. Just a little pi$$edoff.:mad: :mad:

I have never seen a bad flywheel. I have seen converters balloon and take the thrust bearing out on our motors. Better give your oil a good inspection first, before assumming its the flywheel.

Yes the flywheel can crack, come loose.. not unless someone has had the tranny down. The factory does a pretty good job of torquing those down.

If you unbolt your converter, you should be able to check for clearance between converter and flywheel. Also be able to flex it and see if seems abnormal.

Time for some further investigating. Good luck and post back.

Ohhh... the flywheel on a turbo motor is different than a NA motor.

J.

Yea, I know it's not the same flywheel as a N/A car. But I figured at least that's one of the parts that should be readily available since it's (I assume) the same as the GN.

I obviously haven't done any inspecting. But I thought that might (warped flywheel) be the issue since one of the low mile TTA's I looked at before I bought this had that problem, and was at the dealership for replacement.

I take it that it's not all too common? More likely that my converter took a puke?

I feel VERY strongly that this happened as a direct result of the dyno run. Not that they did anything wrong or abnormal. Just that after seeing the car go WOT and jerk when the gas was let off. Looks rather violent! But really, this problem came immediately after. Car acted weird, and after cool down this became very noticable.

Razor - are you suggesting that this may have something to do with my 'gas in oil' post/issue?

Really guys, thanks for all your help. If you can give me detailed suggestions, I will investigate and post back. I will take the inspection cover off and take a look. What exactly should I be looking for in the convertor???

It sounds like the problem that Ive had since Ive had my car. Mine kinda chirps when I start it sometimes. I cant find anything that looks like it is rubbing and all of the bolts are tight. It seems more apparent when you put it in gear. Weird thing is, it will go away after you pull out when it gets in second gear for a second.
I know that this isnt a answer, but just to let you know that your not alone:)

Man the jerk on the dyno is nothing compared to a 15PSI transbrake launch on slicks... and the flywheels live through that pretty routinely.

I have never seen a warped flywheel or heard of another Buick with one. Maybe I just havent asked around enough??? Busted ring gear teeth.. sure..

What you do is unbolt the converter from the flywheel, push the converter torwards the transmission, and spin the motor around and inspect the cleance/distance from flywheel to converter. If its warped.. it will wobble. I dont know if you'll get a good inspection of the flywheel this way. And tranny has to come down to replace it.

While your there, you can also check your thrust on your crank by moving the crank back and forth. The belt will need to come of the front. I believe the specs on thrust are like 3-11 thousandths. Mine last time I checked was at 5 1/2 thou.

Let us know what you find.

Back