You can type here any text you want

factory units and CD-R's

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

REM3200

I want to upgrade the head unit in my 87 TR and have two questions. 1) will the newer GM units play CD-R's?? and 2) which units should I be looking at for a plug n/ play, easy installation??

No newer GM radios will be an easy plug 'n play install. The harnesses in your car was used in '89 at latest I'd say.

Most newer Chevy's have the same harnesses as each other, if you want to hardwire one of those into your car, that may help. Then you'd just have to focus on mounting it, which shouldn't be too bad (prob. just have to drill a couple holes at most). Make sure you know what you're doing (or whoever does it does).

You're best bet may be to deal with Cructhfeild . They send all the nesecary part for installing aftermarket headunitsd. I got a Kenwood receiver from them and the harness and bezel was included in my order.

Thanks,
Tom

Well I ended up using a Pioneer DEH-P47DH unit with an adaptor harness and it went in easy and works like a dream. Also put my ancient Rockford/Fosgate Punch 45 and an equally ancient RFosgate 12" single sub(sealed enclosure) in the trunk and it provides just about the right amount of bass to go with the factory speakers.
But--the rear deck 4X10 factory speakers have lost all thier foam and need to be replaced--I notice that they are 10 ohms and all the current 4X10's I have seen are 4 ohms, how do I handle that??---or---anyone know where to get a 4x10 to 6x9 adaptor ??? Thought I might have a wider choice in the 6X9 area and perhaps 8 ohm units.
Any thoughts would be appreciated............James..

I bought my 6x9 adaptors on E-bay. Then when I went looking for speakers I found out I could have got them from the same place that sells speakers. Cheaper too.

The new cd player is designed to use 4-ohm speakers. You don't have to worry about finding 10 or even 8-ohm speakers. Hope this helps.

bob

Back