You can type here any text you want

FAST USB Prob:cannot change COM port assignment

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

disco stu

This is from a guy who is not the most computor savvy person in the world, so here goes.

Op system is ME on a Compaq presario 1200. I cannot connect to FAST.

How do I change the port assignments?

I've tried:
System properties>Ports(COM & LPT1). I think this is just for the printer port though.

System properties>USB controller>USB Root Hub
Device status: working properly. Cannot change port assignments under any of the tabs in USB root hub properties or universal port hub properties.

Also cannot change anything in BIOS. As if it is locked out or something.

Computors really piss me off sometimes. Can anybody help here?

When you go to the system prop. and you see the ports section, like you stated, this will list all ports that you have, printer and com ports. If you have your USB converter plugged into your laptop, it will show up in here. Usually the computers will automatically assign the cable to a com port 7 or higher. The Fast ECU's will only recognize either com 1-2 or coms 1-4, depending on what version of C-Com you are using.

To change the com port setting for your cable, click on the + sign in front of Ports. This will open up all the ports that are assigned. You should see your USB cable listed under there. Right click on that com port for the USB, and go to Properties. When the new window pops up, click on the Ports tab. Then look down and you should see a button that states "advanced". Click on that, and a drop down menu should appear in the botton left side of the window, where you can select which com port you want to assign it to.

Make sure you know what com ports your version of C-Com will allow. After you assign your com port to your USB cable, you will then have to open up C-Com and select which com port you wish for C-Com to communicate through.

Hope that helps you out.

Thanks, but I think that is my problem. The USB connection does not show up in Ports. Just the LPT1 port. And there is no port tab in Properties. There is something here that is just not normal and is making things difficult.

When I click on Root hub the status shows that the USB ports are operating, and that 1 port is taken and 1 is available but nowhere can I see what ports they are assigned to or how to change.

If you have your USB converter cable hooked up to the laptop, and it is not showing up in the Ports area, sounds like the drivers did not get properly installed. I would try reloading the drivers, or contacting the manuf. or the place that you purchased the USB converter thru.

Fast does sell a USB converter cable, you should be able to purchase that thru Fast or any of their dealers.

Yep, the driver supplied did not work for some reason, but I was able to download the correct driver that work. Thank you for your help! And welcome to the board.

Glad to hear that you got it fixed.

Thanks for the welcome. I have been a member here since about March, just didn't see anything I knew to post about, lol.

Back