You can type here any text you want

Fire in the pipes

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

geno

9sec 17MPG Street Car
Staff member
The turd is up and running:) Im going to the track to break it in LOL Oh should i put 5000 mile on it before i race it NOT:D I put many NASCAR NorthWest tour motors together and they went right to the track and ran for 2 hrs@ 7600/8000 rpm I will set the timing @ 20deg and 15 lbs boost to see what it will do... Ive been waiting a long time for this and i cant wait:)

I had to try 20lbs boost and 24deg timing;)
My first pass was 10.6 with a 1.42 60FT 128MPH ..
Then i tryed to set the ramp faster on the boost controler and
it hit to hard and spun. The best time i got was a 10.48 with a 1.52 60ft @ 129mph with 22/23 lbs boost. It was a perfect day at the track for me. The car is dry and has no leaks:D

Make sure the boost is set at 15lbs and not 30+ like before:eek: ;) LOL! Good luck and have fun:) :cool:

Gene, You might want to put some Locktite on those little bitty throttle body screws that hold the butterfly plate. I saw one of those go through a StageII motor damaging the #6 piston, the head, and then out the ol exhaust into a $1200 turbo.

MINOR DAMAGE to a certain Twin Turbo Opel in BG!

Good luck at the track, and don't come back with anything higher than 9.90, if you know what I mean!

Butch
Dallas/Chicago

So is she gonna be ready for Turbo Thunder? I'm thinking about flying up for it next month. BTW what turbo do you have on it now?

TurboTR

I only have a bar and no cage so there will be no 9sec passes.
The first time out with a new combo it always seems fast for about a week and then you alway want more power..
Im just going to take it easy on it and get the fuel map up to snuff. I have a 76 BB 4 bolt Q trim:) Todd i heard last night you might make it to Turbo Thunder:eek: Dale was talking to Dennis on the cell phone when i was breaking in the cam. That would be cool but we are not sure how many cars will show:) I think my buddy with a 57 Ford custom(597 CID all motor) that been a best of 8.13 might go:cool: Come on up and meet the Left Coast guys:o Terry Ryan,Ryan Guy,Dave Loney,Dennis Hogan,Mike Price,WFO,Scott Fink,Chris Cains,Mike Dokins and some others..
Butch im going to look at that after in write this:eek:

Yeah,but you just got all that nice polishing work covered in oil.:D
Guess that's one way to preserve it from corrosion.Have fun.:)

I had to try 20lbs boost and 24deg timing
My first pass was 10.6 with a 1.42 60FT 128MPH ..
Then i tryed to set the ramp faster on the boost controler and
it hit to hard and spun. The best time i got was a 10.48 with a 1.52 60ft @ 129mph with 22/23 lbs boost. It was a perfect day at the track for me. The car is dry and has no leaks

Originally posted by geno
I will set the timing @ 20deg and 15 lbs boost to see what it will do... Ive been waiting a long time for this and i cant wait:)

15 psi of boost... YEA RIGHT! I knew you couldn't start with it that low! hee hee..

That sounds SWEET!!! I wish I could've be there to see it run and not leak anything..lol..

ks:cool:

What happened to 15lbs of boost and 20deg of timing??!!......

I'm sure the next pass at the track will be with 25-27lbs of boost and should be a low 10 - high 9 sec pass @136mph :D ;)

Hey Gene,

Glad to hear your back in the swing of things again.

Are the new casting GN1 heads that you picked up at the Nationals ported or as cast?

What ramp setting are you at now? I've been setting mine at 0 at the track. One thing I'm finding and Neal seems to think his is doing the same is the wastegate opening prematurely. I'll watch the gauge when the car launches and mine will go to 23psi fairly quickly, then creep up to 25psi and stay steady. I've got the controller set for 25psi, so what gives? Next time your out check and see if yours does the same thing, you've got a racegate w/9lb spring?

Later,

Geno
I didn't get to see you run, but my spies and informants tell me that you had traction issues most of the way down the track.

Inquiring minds need to know.
Dale :D

Ya
I had to steer the car on the top end through the traps:eek: Thats the first time for me.... The tires never stopped spinng
the WHOLE run.. Next week its your motor in Dennis,s car that goes out for its first runs:) Are you going to come and join us Dale? Also i want to say thanks for all your input when i was building my motor.:) :)

The first pass i had it set on 7 ramp and it 60ft @ 1.4 and then next ramp launch was 5 ramp and went 1.5. Im not sure witch spring i have but i will be finding out.. There will be a learning curve with the new WG setup thats for sure. It backfired out the exhaust during my first burnout. I found the end of the hose on the TB was hanging up the TP sensor and it never did it again.
I see a good size leak going on with the cross over slip joint on these atr headers. Im going to seal that up and that should help it spool:)

Gene, With all of the issues you had, that sounds like a solid 9.5 second car after you get the bugs out. What do you think? What were your original goals?

What about the GN1's, as cast, or cleaned up?

Congrats on the dry "Break In"!

Butch

Gene..... Glad to hear you got it running! you did not waste any time getting her to the track huh? ;)

I can't wait to see it at woodburn.

Hey Gene
I will come out to the track for a bit and watch Dennis make a run, but since I know nothing about the DFI or how to tune it, I wont be much help.
Besides all the parts are coming together for my Lightning and I might be able to have it running for Turbo Thunder, if I chain myself to the garage :D
Dale

Yeah congrats on the clean and dry break in. Took mine out for a spin tonight too after changing valve seals, and working up a 3.5" stainless downpipe and cutout test pipe. Clean and dry too :-) Hard to keep the darn thing on the ground though in 1st, 2nd and part of 3rd ;-) The '76 turbo may only make about 23 psi boost on this engine, but not sure yet. Time for a GT80 I think though. And some hose.

Steve and I are planning to fly up for Turbo Thunder as well. Hope to see all you guys out there!

Bad as L, thanks for a bad *ss mill! :-)

TurboTR

Back