You can type here any text you want

First kill in my new GN (hell, first in ANY GN).... what a sweet feelin'

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
Well, I've had my 85 for a little over a month now, but finally had a lil' Stoplight Grand Prix for the first time tonight. The first few weeks I had it, I didnt want to run anyone. I had no gauges, and the car was overheating occaisionally, and not making the power it should, so i was babying it. But since i got a full set of gauges, fixed the radiator, and my car actually drives nice now (would you believe just installing gauges gave me some power? I feel like a ricer saying it, but im assuming in replacing some of the old vaccum lines when instlaling the boost gauge i fixed a leak somewhere, but the car pulls a LOT better than it did before. Maybe the ricers are right, and I should go buy a big-a$$ sticker for my rear glass, i hear theyre worth 50 hp easy:) ).... So where was I? Oh yeah, so now that I've got the car where im comfortable dirving it, I have been looking for a race. My car isnt very fast, its pretty much a stock hot-air running on only 9lbs boost (crappy fuel pump wont let me run any more without knocking), but i wanted to try anyways. Today, on my way over to a girls house, i pull up next to some meng-meng in a kinda nice lookin newer GTI. It had some huge-ass aftermarket intercooler in it, but beyond that, I don't know. Staged at the light, spooled up to my whopping 9lbs of boost, dumped the brakes when the lights turned, and i was off. There was just the slightest hint of tire squeal from me, and from then on i was pulling on this guy. ended up gettin maybe 5 feet between my rear and his front bumper before the next light. When we pull up even again, hes half hanging out his window yelling something at me, he seemed very upset, like i'd done something wrong (beating him i guess?) so i smiled and waved and told him "JEsus Loves YOU!":D

so yeah, its nota huge victory, and it wasnt against a very great opponent, but it was a win, hopefully the first of many. In a month or 2 when my money situation smooths out, and i get a new copmuter, fuel pump, exhaust, etc. etc. I'm hoping things will be a alittle better. But for now, my first heads up run in my GN is enough to keep me smiling for the next few days :)

This was just a N/A Grand Prix?? 3800 series? Your boost should be running higher then that stock:confused: Got exhaust leaks, vacuum leaks, bad actuator, vacuum lines run wrong, & are you running the stock cat? Nice to hear its running good for ya.....need to get that boost up. I got the same issue going on with my car too.....low boost!! "jesus loves you":D Thats good shat:cool: Did ya put a knock gauge in there? Later, Nick.:cool:

LMAO:D My bad. Still can't believe how bad I must have read his post!!
You held 9lbs. on the foot brake? I can't hold 1lb!!

hah i too was thinking... intercooler on a grand prix? am i missing something... i too had to go back and see he was referring to a GTI... jetta i think?

well sounds like there is still alot of fun for you to come in your gn!

good luck and be safe ....

good kill on the GTI!

stories like these make me so anxious to get my hotair back together so i can join in on the fun! ive got a long way to go though :(

I know my boost is lower than it should be, but even with it as low as it is, it starts knocking if i hold it for too long. Im pretty sure my fuel pump is goin south, and in the near future im converting to teh 87 computer, getting a walbrop, hotwire kit, and probably new injectors (the ones on there are so gross looking, i dont even wanna imagine how ****ty theyre spraying). And sorry for confusing everyone... "Stoplight Grand Prix" is what me and my freinds call a little heads up stop-light to stop-light race, but after reading my post, I see it oculd be a little confusing. I was in my 85 GN, and i raced a late 90's VW GTI, which if i recall have the ubiquitous turbo 1.8 liter vw/audi motor.... do they put the VR6 in the GTI?? I admit im not an= VW expert, so im nto sure. Anyways, theyre allright little cars, and can be made to go pretty damn fast... not this one though :)

I DO have a knock gauge, and bost and water and oil. And i LOVE my brakes.. i have the hydra-boost setup, and man i tlel you what, those things grab pretty good... at least mine does :)

Originally posted by FlaBoy
My car isnt very fast, its pretty much a stock hot-air running on only 9lbs boost (crappy fuel pump wont let me run any more without knocking

Hey, have you changed your fuel filter yet? If not, give that a shot especially if your car has been sitting a while.

yup, did a real good spring cleaning the first week i ahd it

As far as I know the GTI is a form of the Golf. And yeah, I think I've seen a VR6 GTI or two.

*edit* Nice job with the kill!

very nice! those gti's with the 1.8t are very decent running cars, the vr6 is ok but i wasn't impressed when i drove one. i've seen the 1.8t's running up here going low 15's stock so that alone at sea level is well into the 14's, add an intercooler and whatever else the guy might have done and your looking at a good running car. thats pretty good for a stock 85 to be keeping up with that.

Back