You can type here any text you want

First time at the track. Need a second opinion

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

robk46

Just took the car to the track for the first time to get a baseline. Unfortunately, I didn't run so well. Here are the specs.

'86 GN. Stock everything except for a dynomax muffler and short pipe for the exhaust, a Walbro340 (no hotwire), R43TS plugs gapped to 32, running 93 octane gas. In WinALDL I have 0.35 knock at WOT, TPS is at 4.68, o2 is at 1.017 (brand new DENSO sensor). I think the "rich" alarm went off too. I don't know the rest because the battery died on the laptop before I could log it. The car launches O.K, then seems to lose power after second gear. I don't have any exhaust leaks, and it doesn't stumble at any time. I don't have a working boost gauge, and I have no idea what my fuel pressure is (233 regulator) Here's the one run I did:

.395 reaction
2.602 60 ft
10.246 1/8
72.78 MPH
13.222 1000ft
15.778 1/4
88.25 MPH

VERY SLOW!

I was thinking maybe my floor mat was in the way, but I didn't have a chance to run it again. I also found my intake hose had a bit of material bent inward and blocking the air passage a little right after the MAF. Anyone within a 100 mile radius of the Stuart, Fl. area want to help me tune this thing? I would like to take a ride in another stockish 86/87 turbo Regal and maybe work with someone with a little more experience with these cars. I'll buy the food and beer. ;)

I plan on testing the fuel pressure tomorrow, just to make sure the 233 is working right. I don't know what I'm going to do about a boost gauge. . . Sorry for the long post, I'm just getting frustrated.

local buick

You need to get an afs 20 delco 02 sensor. Make sure the TV detent cable is adjusted right. Move the floor mat. You need the hotwire kit with the 340 fuel pump. You need a working boost gauge. If you want to up the boost your going to need a hd gate and alky as well as proper tune for it. Do you know JD or Julio? Enough knowledgable people around the tampa area to get your car dialed in. Depends on your goals, time, and $. Good luck.

I don't know either of those guys. I just ordered a boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge. I'm going to take it out before the rain today and get some data on my laptop. My goal right now is to get it to run close to factory times. That way I know I'm starting with a healthy car before I do any mods.

Im no expert but Ive solved quite a few problems on mine. After you get the vacuum and fp gauge on you could bring it by the house and Ill have a look. Im in Jupiter.(My 86 T-type runs pretty good so you could compare also.) Sounds like you might need a more modern chip in there if its running really rich. Eric

Thanks Eric. I'm going to be down in Jupiter today, but my gauges won't here for a few days. I'm down there a lot at my mom in laws house.

Just went out and did some quick runs. FYI, the engine has 76k on it, but I'll order some valve springs anyways just to be safe.

Here's the data according to WinALDL. Except for the idle readings, I did the runs up to 85 from a stand still, building some boost using the crappy stock boost gauge as a reference. I just built boost until the car started to inch forward / break loose.

IDLE

MAF 5
BLM 122
O2 0.123 - 0.928 Volts
IAC 21
TPS .47
RPM 725 - 800
Battery Voltage 13.4

LAUNCH

MAF 140
BLM 127
O2 1.012 volts
TPS 4.73
RPM 2550
KNOCK Retard 0
Battery voltage 12.8

WOT top of second gear (59 MPH)

MAF 239
BLM 116
O2 0.910 - 0.970 Volts
TPS 4.74
RPM 4750
KNOCK Retard 0
Battery Voltage 13.3

Third gear up to 85MPH

MAF 211
BLM 114
O2 0.923 volts (only got one reading, wasn't at that speed very long)
TPS 4.74
RPM 4250
KNOCK Retard 0
Battery Voltage 13.1

give me call at work when you get the gauges in 561-227-6137 We can have a look at her in the evening some night.

Well, it turns out my boost solenoid is bad. GM doesn't make it anymore, so now I'm in search of an OEM replacement or a suitable substitute.

Pm me to night I probably have one you can have. I'm Sarasota you would get it in a day going snail mail

Track time

Hows the car running? Any update on what you repaired.

Im thinking of taking my GN to Moroso one of these Friday nights to see what it will run. Maybe we can put a group together.

Where do you live?:)

Found a bad boost controller. I also need to add a hotwire kit since I'm only getting 53PSI of fuel at WOT. I should have that and a few other things on by this coming Friday. I live in Hobe Sound.

Track Time

Your not to far from me, Im in Loxahatchee. Maybe we can get together one day at Moroso or a cruise night. Let me know!:cool:

Back