You can type here any text you want

First time at track with TTA

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trading t/a

I'm Angry!!!!!
I'm still stuck at 14psi till i can gut the exhaust, and E-town wouldn't let me open the cut out. Boost still doesn't build until the 60' foot mark(i think to much backpressure).

Well anyway I ran a 13.5@108mph with a 2.35 60' with no boost on launch.O2 is bad so I was getting iffy readings but with 116 in the tank,14 psi and no knock(with timing advanced up top by 2 degrees) I decided to give it my best. With a good 1.8 60' and 20psi what do you think I'd run?

There were new LS1's running 13.1? @106 mph, but i couldn't get near them till the last 1/8 mile of the run. Even if it isn't the exhaust stifling the spool up what do you think I could run with a sub 2.0 60' at my current boost level?

Incidentally that run was against a 2003 Cobra with pulley,exhaust and chip and he out ran me by .07.
Nice guy talked to him for a bit and he mentioned he left the traction control on and missed 3rd gear. Those are some mean machines to make up the carlengths he lost on the 1+2,2+3, shifts.

Thanx for any replies....

Pete

Pete
13.5 with stock(er) 14.5? pound of boost isn't that bad. I am not sure if the guys with new LS-1s didn't modify. In stock form a new LS-1 should be also hit mid 13s at best. Were they running slicks? Were you running slicks? If your car was modded to run a tick over 20 lbs....you should be in the mid/high 12s with race gass/chip. 13.5 isn't all that bad though :)

Get a new, good O2 sensor. You're probably running pig rich. Probably why you can't spool at the line.

As for LS1's, I've seen a buddies '01 WS6 run 13.0 bone stock. He changed the lid and put my old drag radials on and ran a 12.7. This was with just 600 miles. It would have only gotten faster with the "normal" LS1 break in.

I was on street tires running 14 psi(stock is 16.5) running around 112 octane. The chip i have is very good(98 octane chip). I can adjust the fuel and spark through the trans+ for when race gas and more boost finally comes into play.

From what I experienced the LS1's were runners for a little more than an 1/8 then i was picking up on them at the end big time. My 1/8 mph is only 80 mph(compoared to the LS1's 83mph) I'm picking up 28 mph in the last 1/8 mile. This turbo seems to run a lot better up top. Now if I could only get 4 psi on the line and a quick spool even with 14psi i should be in the mid twelves(with a good 60').

Pete,I think I was parked next to you with the red GTA that was running like crap all day(popped and stuttered over 17#'s of boost :( )

Anyway,who told you to keep the dump closed?Turbo cars are allowed to open dumps because a turbo qualifies as a muffler,and the two guys I was with(the yellow Turbo-T and the WE-4)both had theirs open.

Steve

The dude that was signing off on my time trial runs. I asked him if i could open my dump and he said "If you are running in the efi race no". That really sucks! Yeah it was you. I didn't want to take up your time introducing myself and all. You looked pretty pissed at the beast for a while. And i was trying to get every last pound outta my car. I'm pretty sure it's either a clogged cat or just the possibility of having a new cat and Blowmaster exhaust stifling the turbo. As for running rich on spool up. The chip I have locks the INT and BLM's at 128 regardless of how the injector pulse width is reprogrammed all the trimming of the fuel and spark curves comes from the translator+.

I know it's gotta be an exhaust problem cause i'm not hitting full boost until the 60' mark. and could barely spin them power braking once i can get the rpm's up high enough it'll run like the wind.

I'll be going back down to E-town friday night to try it out after i gut it.

Pete

Sorry for not being too sociable,I was having a generally bad day but have scince figured my problem out(I think).

If you want try to come this Sat to E-Town - they are having their trophy marathon which is basically time trials from 9am to 5pm(7 hours :eek: ).It should be a great day to make alot of passes to try things out and you can open your dump if need be.

Steve

Ya didnt mention if you were locking the converter.

If you ran 1.8 60 foot with 108mph youd be in the 12's..My car stock turbo and injectors with a 1.69 60 foot I ran 12.18 at 110

It would turn low to mid 12's all day long with Nitto's,22lbs of boost,open cutout.Some have gone 11's..drop the timing and up the boost..get your O2's in the 760-780 range with no knock..or one degree..bada bing..your there..very easy cars...

As far as your cutout..tell the track that flex connector is a muffler.

These cars dont MPH well..so if you cant 60 foot it..forgetaboutit..

Time for some tires and seat time..I was getting 2.0 60's with the wood tires..If your getting 2.30's..your really tring to blow the tires going sideways..

Ya need some seat time with the car and learn not to mash the pedal when launching it..rather progressively go down on it.

Next time out try this..hit the brakes hard..bring it up about 1-2 lbs of boost..when its time to launch..let go the brakes..the car will move forward..then start pushing the pedal down.And try not to blow the tires. ..try uppin the pressure on the tire to 32-34

Best 60 for me on street tires..non drag radials..1.96..on Nittos high 1.6's..on slicks 1.60..Nittos werent consistent..slicks are easy.

mid 13's at 14 lbs of boost..good job.

Julio

BTW..ran 11.74 saturday :)

I would love to get down there on SAT, but me and the wife have to go to our neice's b-day party in SE PA. and will take up most of the day. Changed the knock sensor today idle readings are 710-760,wot i got 680mv out of. still no knock and i turned the trans+ back down to driveable perameters.

I knew the o2 had to be bad cause i started the morning with 1/4 of a tank of 93 mixed with 2 gallons of toulene, then i added a little over 3 gallons of 112 to the mix. I was running a lean idle setting on the base maf,4% rich up top. My timing was set for 8* adv. on base timing and 2* advanced up top @wot(above 3200) and was only seeing 440-530mv. I think i could possibly hit 110mph with it set to the stock boost level. Just hope the trans lasts a little while. 3+4 clutch pack is almost toast. It slips and almost never engaged the od while normal driving. I have to bring it up to 50mph and manually shift from 3rd to 4th to get it to go. The other shifts are rock hard though, no slipping at all. JMO the last owners lock the converter a bit much at the strip.

Want to hit 12's before the winter gets here.

Razor, See that's my problem i cant build any boost on the line without spinning the tires. I dont see any boost till i get to the 60' mark then i get 14psi. Right now it wont build past 14 even with the actuator unplugged(should boost to the moon).

My best short time was the 2.35 and it hooked solid with no spinning what so ever,it just doesn't hit power until the 60' then I noticed i get a squelch from the tires(kinda like someone threw a switch on). That leads me to believe it really needs the rpm's to overcome the restriction in the exhaust.

Once i open the dump this week(hopefully tomorrow) I'll see if that is it. If not, Do you think it could be making boost but it is escaping back out(blowby or intake leak). Guess i'll have to do a compression test to find out. I want to dyno it but only running 14psi I feel there is no need. You said these cars don't mph very well? I was higher than some of the low 13's very high 12's that were there. At the 1/8, I only ran 80mph, I finished the run at 108mph that means I picked up 28mph on the top. That seems damn good to me(it really pulls like a raped ape up top). I just have to get some power on the launch. It feels like a normal 6cyl for the first 60' or so the she starts to move....

Thanx for all the suggestions guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete

So whats wrong with locking the converter?

If your tranny is toast..its toast..

It is now 14 years old..the parts are 14 years old..anything wrong with it is normal.If it has to be rebuilt..rebuild it..just do your homework before you let anyone have at it.

Been there and done that...Your making your life harder than it has to be with the translator/extender deal.These cars will flat out run with pretty much any aftermarket chip,race gas,and boost on a stock MAF.

And those changes your making to your fueling/timing..without boost..have hardly any performance returns whatsoever.This is not an LS1/LT1 where you rely upon a translator for tweaking.

Yeah yeah I know...you have the stuff so your gonna use it.It would be an asset when the car is in the 11's ..until then turning those knobs wont get you any ET.

I would be willing to bet..that if you put in a thrasher 100,ran 21lbs of boost,put some race gas,got some traction..it would run
12.50's easily.Wanna bet ?

First get your tranny fixed..then we'll bet :)

Pete,
You may have a bad turbo.An exhuast leak can also cuase this.A bazillion things actually.

I would tell you to try and figure out why its limited to 14lbs.

If it ran 108 it would seem that you cat isnt plugged.You may have an issue with your waste gate puck.Thats where I'd look first along with the actuator.

And if you pull the hose of the WG..you should be able and hit 25lbs of boost..Just dont yank the hose and floor it..ok :)

If with the wastegate hose off it only still produces 14 lbs with a known good guage..then its turbo.

As far as building boost on the line..with street tires..you shouldnt but 1-2 lbs.Also you can pull on your E-brake to get a little more hold.

Lastly..timing/fuel has a great affect on spoolup.Make sure your not drowning it pulling back timing while trying to spool it up.Hence why I had mentioned problems with the translator/extender deal.

HTH...

Julio

11.74:eek: Good job Julio!!

I wish I could have made it but, my furniture arrived sat. morning and the father in law wanted to enjoy the weather here.:D

Maybe next week ,I dunno.

Bo

I disagree with the above comment that these cars don't MPH. When you compare a TTA with an equally modified TR, I guarantee you will see 3-5 MPH over the TR anyday of the week!
I don't think the stock exhaust is a bad as you think it is. I make all my runs through a 2.5" ATR DP with a mildly gutted exhaust elbow and the OE exhaust system from the DP back. I try to live by the rule of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) when tuning these cars. Seems that the more I try to get fancy and complicated, the slower it goes. My best MPH ever was with a TE44, OE injectors, the above mention exhaust, and locking the converter.....that's it, nothing more! I've since added MSD 50's for the cooler months and still need to tweak it a fuzz more, but my MPH is back up in the 118 range @ 24 psi of boost and 114 fuel. Good luck to ya!

Joe,not to get into a pissing match with ya..but compared to other NON turbo ta or GN..they dont MPH well..And your car you forgot to mention IC mod..

Look at the LS1's running at the track with similar ET's..they run more MPH..Or any other car..Vette's,Impala's,etc..they run more MPH to get the same ET..Our cars are lethal out of the hole..Thats torque..But you wont see many of our cars going over 120 trap...which is quite common here were I live with nitrous and LS1 setups.

I love my car and its peformance..but it has its limitations..unless I want to break stuff..

My local car club has a Track ET by user name..it gives ET/mph for the different members..If you need the proof..

http://www.badrap.net

I'm the fastest with the slowest MPH..11.744 at 114.64 1.62 60ft

Julio

Other than shaft endplay and death wobble how would i check the turboThe fins are all good it doesn't wobble or whine. As for the translator I ran a 13.9 @106mph with a 2.44 60' first pass. I leaned out the base fuel and really leaned out the topend and added some timing and ran the 13.5 at 108 with a not so better 2.35 60'. As for not giving me anything I noticed the drivability vastly improved over the stock maf which is fine and reading to it's max 255 gm/sec potential. The reason I chose to go with the new maf and translator and chip was that they are more durable and the chip lets the ecm read 512gm/sec. Once the ecm sees 255 with the stock chip no matter what you do it wont add or subtract any fuel. Gotta go try to open my dump. I'll keep posting.

Thanx a mil....

Pete

trading t/a wrote:
The reason I chose to go with the new maf and translator and chip was that they are more durable and the chip lets the ecm read 512gm/sec. Once the ecm sees 255 with the stock chip no matter what you do it wont add or subtract any fuel. Gotta go try to open my dump. I'll keep posting.

Ya know...sometimes what in theory appears to be better not always is the answer....in practice.

Good luck..heres a dump tip...yank the converter off and leave the flex hanging..nothing will happen to it..Wes TNTTA..does this..great simple cheap :)..so what if it scrapes a little..

well they're pretty rusted gotta let em soak and try again. As for the dump it sounds different than mine. I just have a y on the down pipe 1 side goes to the cat the other has a block off plate.Kinda like the borla catback system, just three bolts and the plate and gasket come off and go straight out the downpipe next to the cat.

If the turbo is indeed the culprit should I rebuild the 44 or go with a ta-49(pretty much the same) or a pt-52(dont know if i have enough injector for pt-52).

thanx...

Pete

If ou have a Y pipe instead of a cat..all you do is remove the 3 nuts,pull of the plate and your done.

I still would believe its a problem with the "puck" in the elbow not sealing on the wastegate hole of the turbo..or its rusted..or???

Bad WG actuator can also cuase this if it has insufficient pressure in its diaphram.

Who's 44 is it? John craig,precision,???

Back