You can type here any text you want

Fit a late 3.8?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jns

Would anyone happen to know what it might take to fit a supercharged L67 long block motor from a 96-98 Firebird/Camaro onto a GN bellhousing (hybrid car) utilizing the stock GN intake/turbo set-up? Are the bolt patterns the same for a 96-98 RWD Firebird and a GN? From what I have researched, the L67 appears to have roller rockers, steel main caps with additional main bolts, a balance shaft(needed bad for a lightweight Porsche frame:yup:) and better oiling.

Best of all, they're cheap and I'm hoping to drop in a low-mile used motor. It would be great to mate the GN throttle body onto where the supercharger was, if possible, with some kind of adaptor. Thanks!

Trans bolt pattern is the same as 60 degree chevy v6. You would have to use parts from a 4th gen f-body with a 3.8 engine, it was the only factory rwd application for the series II engine. The GN stuff has a standard B-O-P bolt pattern and won't be a direct fit. The standard non-supercharged version still has the main caps, roller rockers, and balance shaft you covet. Don't forget that the throttle body will be facing the wrong way if you use a FWD intake. You would have to fab a turbo setup, the exhaust flanges are different. The GN stuff does not easily bolt on.

Thanks a lot for the info. I was wondering about the exhaust so that's another thing to consider.

I'll send some pics of the L67 in my reardrive 87 shelby Charger as soon as I get the elbow and adapter fabbed up for the throttle body/MAF assembly

An L67 is a supercharged motor, never offered it in the F-body. You're talking about the L36. The GN intake won't fit, they altered the deck height to make the engine more compact. They also switched to an on center block design which alters the port spacing. The trans bellhousing is the 60º V6 though they make TH700R4's with that as long as you beef up the internals. The heads are different so you can't use the GN exhaust stuff either. The rockers are roller fulcrum but not roller tip. The oil pan is a big hold up as well since its only offered in I think 3 configurations for the FWD W-body, FWD H-body, and RWD F-body. What you are going to want is a metal F-body L36 intake or a L67 lower intake and fab your own upper plenum. They make header flanges if you want to make your own headers and piping for the turbo. I'd go for the metal L36 intake since it puts the injectors in the intake instead of in the heads like the L67 and the heads flow marginally better after porting due to the lack of the injector in the runner. Stock both have the boss cast in so it doesn't matter much.

Lots of great info here, thanks! Too bad they don't make an aftermarket balance shaft assembly to put on this motor for use in lightweight cars which will rattle your bones if not balanced well. The old porsche engine in this car (944) had TWO balance shafts.

I just finished a 99 Camaro custom turbo setup using complete stock engine.

You could run either the GTP stuff (FWD) which is setup for boost lower compression ect.

What body are you going to use? (Car body)

Intense motorsports makes parts along with a long list of others for the GTP Guys. I've seen stock engine GTP's with the turbo kit go 11's easy.

You can use the 4L60E transmission from the F-body. It's got interchangable bell housings.. nice. (same as 700R but electronic shifted)
You use HP Tuners to tune the stock OBD2 for boost/timing ect.
Good luck,Scott~

Back