You can type here any text you want

Fixing d/s power seat motor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

eagleguy

regalpowerseatmotor.png
regalpowerseatmotor.png regalpowerseatmotor.png Motor works but the plastic housing is brittle. Any idea where I can get the 1986 part?

document

Last edited:
Gbodyparts reproduces the housings and sells them as complete reman units but it's pricey. Cheaper alternative is to find an 87-newer seat track which is a totally different (and better) design. You'll need the switch too if you convert.

Cheaper yet would be to encase the whole damn thing in jb weld, which has crossed my mind on my 84, but I got an 87 track here that just needs the rusted feet replaced so I will probably never try the jb weld...."probably"....

I have a Grand National seat with the '86 electric motor....I used JB weld on the cracks in basically the same area....it worked very well....but make sure you rough up the area you are putting the JB on, and then clean it well with solvent....do not use JB Quick.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Is the problem the plastic cover or the coupler? The coupler is around $20 on eBay. I replaced mine recently.

Its not the coupler as much as the transmission itself. Check the photo I posted in the beginning. Its all cracked. .

I gotcha. I was just trying to decide if you were more upset by the aesthetics or lack of function. A new coupler and it should be back up and working. It raises all kinds of Cain and makes you think the transmission is porked when it breaks like that.

Two part epoxy is your best bet. Get the good Loctite plastic glue, under $6 at Home Depot. Give it a nice coating in and over the cracked joints. As was said, rough up the joining surfaces and where you'll be smearing it on.

I have a Grand National seat with the '86 electric motor....I used JB weld on the cracks in basically the same area....it worked very well....but make sure you rough up the area you are putting the JB on, and then clean it well with solvent....do not use JB Quick.

Bruce '87 Grand National
Did you take the transmission out to do the repair or did you do it with seat intact?

I bought the '86 power seat assembly separately for my '87 seat....I repaired it before I bolted the seat onto it.....so, it's best you take your seat out of the car, then unbolt it from the power seat frame as you'll hae excellent access to the motor, room to sand, rough up the surface, then clean very well......this should make it easier for you to do the repair....let sit 24 hours in a warm area (70-80 degrees) then bolt on your seat, and put it in your car....hope this helps....my repair has held together for quite some years.....about two years ago, I took out the '86 power seat assembly with the '87 seat from my Grand National, and obtained the three motor power seat assembly with an original '87 Grand National seat, thus I was going for originality.....the '86 power seat assembly with the '87 seat is now in storage in my garage...not in use anymore, but still works great....(when I checked it last month, the JB Weld is still holding well)...let us know how you did with this.........I was not aware of the Loctite plastic cement, sounds like it could work also.........

$125 of that shipping fee is the refundable core fee per the ad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know right..... I had to read the eBay add over myself..... I thought wtf? How is he selling these at all ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would print that chart from Gbody and take it to the local junkyard.

Back