You can type here any text you want

Formula SAE

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
Great video.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6514168251893889573

Looks a concept copy of a car my buddy and I had build one with a 600cc Yamaha single cylinder in college (1989). We build it from scratch. (Bend and welded the frame tubing, made the A-arms, etc) The intake was restricted to 18mm and it ran on M85. It was called Formula SAE.
This was a national student design competition sponsored by SAE. We placed 5th out of 43 colleges nationwide.

Handling was superb - pulled 1.05G on the skid pad.
It was underpowered but I selected the single cylinder to give some low end torque for the endurance race, etc. It was FUN!

I remember the "Solar Car" race and "Super mileage" as well.
Damn, those were fun days. Hard work, no pay, but not a lot of worries besides beer and gas money! ;)

Anyone on here involved in any of those competitions?

I do FSAE... on the Univ. of Illinois team. :cool:

Competition is very, very tight now. 140 spots at competition usually fill within an hour. They have the Detroit and a West competition in the US, along with competitions in England, Australia, Japan, and I believe are going to Europe and South America this year. Its quite a bit past the "drink beer and have fun" stage... senior design members spend hours and hours working on the cars.

I'll have to try to find a couple pictures...

Back