You can type here any text you want

frame replacement?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1986TR

"EVIL RGL"
fellas i have 87 T that had some frame damage i replaced about 17" of the right front frame (cut it off and welded new piece)car was hit and tip of frame was bent.well i got a frame from a friend that owns an inpound yard its a real gn frame but i have no paper work for this frame my question is where are the vin#s on the frame and can that section be cut out of my old frame and welded onto the new frame thanks

If someone else doesn't beat me to it I'll look it up in the FSM and post the answer when I get off work in a couple hours.

I THINK that it is by the passenger side door. Possibly on the inside. If my memory serves me correct.

It's on top of the frame under the driver's door. The GN frame is the same as a N/A regal or any other G body. The only one heavier is the one from a Hurst Olds or the Olds Cutlass with the diesel motor.

fellas i have 87 T that had some frame damage i replaced about 17" of the right front frame (cut it off and welded new piece)car was hit and tip of frame was bent.well i got a frame from a friend that owns an inpound yard its a real gn frame but i have no paper work for this frame my question is where are the vin#s on the frame and can that section be cut out of my old frame and welded onto the new frame thanks

I never thought gm put vin #'S on frames.when I had mine blasted I found it.Mine was on top of the right side frame rail under passenger side door. I would not bother cutting frame and putting your vin on it. After I coated mine with Por 15 the vin cant be seen.

can you see it with out lifting body off frame? and thanks to all for replies

It would be tough to see it. I did not see it untill it was blasted.With out the body off it would be hard to see because the rocker covers that part of the frame.the only way with the body on would be with a mirror and a flashlight but if it is rusted bad like mine was there is no way.If you are going to do body bushings just jack up a little further and sand rust off and maybe you will see it. good luck

I went out to garage and took this pic. sorry my camrea sucks . the numbers start about ten inches in front of the center frame bushing hole.Its hard to tell from the pic but the first number is about even with the forward crossmember bolt hole. Im sure gm didnt stamp all the frames in the same spot.The quality control was pretty crappy back then. The welds on my frame were unbelievable. Looked like a monkey went nuts with a solder gun:eek: . I ground some welds down but added alot in the rear of the frame. hope this helps. good luck

Attachments

• IM000455.jpg
    IM000455.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 113
Back