You can type here any text you want

Front bumper fillers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNONYX

I bought the front and rear Bumper fillers many years ago, and way before Spoolfool bumper fillers was first introduce to the board members; other wise I would have purchase Spoolfool bumper fillers in the first place.
I started to replace the original front fillers since it was cracked and falling apart, but I do have a question.
The inserted picture is the bracket or steel plate that was attached to the front bumper fillers, do you still use this bracket, or eliminate it or just bolt it ?

Attachments

• 20160918_161127.jpg
    20160918_161127.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 178
  • 20160918_161111.jpg
    20160918_161111.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 101
Im not sure with those older fillers but with spoolfool one i didnt use that metal piece,just eliminated it and bolted them on. Tried it both ways and they fit better without the metal peice.

Anyone else have any input on these original front bumper fillers brackets

From my experience....Since I helped create the original replacement style flexible fillers, the metal helps keep the fillers in spot, as well as any protrusion that may occur from tightening the filler to the header panel. I am not sure why you would want to remove it??? I know on the new ones we created it helps keep the filler rigid as well.

The steel support "can" distribute the clamping force of the screws although said screws are tiny. It can definitely distribute the stress of the screw against the raw fiberglass and mitigate any potential "cracking through" that could occur. The second is a more real possibility.

From my experience....Since I helped create the original replacement style flexible fillers, the metal helps keep the fillers in spot, as well as any protrusion that may occur from tightening the filler to the header panel. I am not sure why you would want to remove it??? I know on the new ones we created it helps keep the filler rigid as well.
The only reason why I removed the steel support bracket, since the original fillers were cracked and falling apart.
On the previous photo the steel support tabs was actually connected to the fillers. I don't want to cut into the new filler just to connect the tabs, I'll probably flatten them down in order to reuse the steel support bracket.

The steel support "can" distribute the clamping force of the screws although said screws are tiny. It can definitely distribute the stress of the screw against the raw fiberglass and mitigate any potential "cracking through" that could occur. The second is a more real possibility.
You're right the screws are tiny, but the screws also hold together the steel support bracket and the fillers up against the headers clips

To the OP. Who's fillers did you buy? All the new fillers either don't require (like mine) it, or provide a new one with their product. I've never seen a bumper filler where you had to reuse the old support.

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

Last edited:
I think everyone missing the point the op removed the support bracket from his old fillers and is asking if he should put them on the replacement fillers he is putting on the car. If they are fiberglass I would leave the supports off.

To the OP. Who's fillers did you buy? All the new fillers either don't require (like mine) it, or provide a new one with their product. I've never seen a bumper filler where you had to reuse the old support.

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard
Hi Mike,
It's been years so I don't remember where I got them, and they are made from Fiberglass, no pre-drilled holes
I was asking if anyone has install the fiberglass type with or without this support bracket.
although It looks like I can install them without the bracket, or fatten down the tabs and use the bracket for extra support.
Like I mention before, these were purchased way before your fillers came into board site, other wise after seeing your video I would have gotten one of your fillers.

Yup! What Toby said.

Most likely, you have Dankos.

Happy spooling.
Mike B.

Thank all for your input, I won't use the support bracket and just bolt it as Shawn and Toby suggested.

Back